Where are the tout !!!!!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

kanutripr

Re: Where are the tout !!!!!

Post by kanutripr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:27 am

I tied up some of those little brassie SH. The game is on!!! (also a secret weapon but it's not a soft hackle so I'm not showing you, :lol: here's the ingredients, #8 3x curved nymph hook, orange thread, orange wool tag, copper wire rib, peacock herl or diamond dub peacock black, black cock hackle palmered. You picture it!)

Sorry Otter. Guess we hijacked. :cry:

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:43 am

"Little inside riffles"? Those are usually my secret locations on high traffic rivers here in Western Colorado. Lets not discuss them any further. :twisted:
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Slow down DUBBN ! I have to finish writing it down. . . :lol:
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:47 pm

DUBBIN, Howdy;

Most folks on here are not aware of how "secretive" the folks of the Rockies are and
to what ends they will go to keep from getting “HOTSPOTTED”.

With this group I don’t think you’ll end up with a combat fishing scenario.

Besides, wouldn’t it be fun to meet Johno, or Otter, or Philip on the stream??? Or to watch Ruard's face light up watching one of these streams (rivers), with a bity-bit of gradient Now THAT would be interesting!!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:01 pm

This has turned into a very fun thread!
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:07 pm

DUBBIN, Howdy;

What other result would anyone expect from a bunch of emablers such as us...

hank
old fart in training...
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:57 am

hankaye wrote:DUBBIN, Howdy;

Besides, wouldn’t it be fun to meet Johno, or Otter, or Philip on the stream??? Or to watch Ruard's face light up watching one of these streams (rivers), with a bity-bit of gradient Now THAT would be interesting!!

hank

It would be very, very,very interesting and maybe one day???

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:31 am

There's a canal about 1/2 mile from my house. It dawns on me that I would not have a clue how to fly fish it :)
Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:37 am

In case someone thinks that the answer to all their prayers is a Brassie Softhackle and an inside riffle there are other places that a good trout can be found. :D

Even on the most fertile of rivers with good upwing and caddis hatches , midge and other tiny "black stuff" play a very important role in the diet of the trout. The "small black stuff" is the bread and butter to many trout, consistently available and whilst these tiny flies may not have received the attention they deserve by angling writers they should not be ignored.

What I have found to be the case on my local may or may not be the case on your chosen rivers - bear that in mind in everthing I say, hopefully my experiences may provide inspiration to some to check out the possibilities on their river if they haven’t already done so.

There are certain parts of my river, small open slackish pools that always seem to have a few sippers of the black stuff ( off course it may be green, grey and a host of shades) . What I have found to be the case is that these will in general be small fish with an occasional medium sized one. Outside bends are another example of this type of water. These fish best when there is some gusty wind that funnels the food into the slack water, between the gusts is when the trout will be most active. The added bonus of the wind is that the surface will be riffled and that it helps disguise the presence of you, your line and leader. Occasionally you may find a good trout in such areas but in general they will be in an almost inaccessible location. Because these places are close to known good water and the rises are visible they will receive a lot of attention at times.

The second type of worthwhile location are back eddies. When faced with such a location it pays to sit and observe. Quite often you will note that instead of the half dozen trout you think are there it is in fact one or two trout patrolling the eddie. These eddies will be stuffed with food and simply casting out your size 22 and leaving it there may be a waste of time. Work out the trouts route. One tactic that works quite well is to cast, and when the trout sips within a few feet of your fly give it a small twitch, this works with regular success. This works whether it is a dry or a damp softhackle, its worth having a few stewart’s style or similar on very light wire hooks for these situations. Back eddies can yield a very good trout , particularily those eddies that have good bankside protection and rarely see the presence of anglers.

The third type and in some ways the most interesting are the long flat featureless pools, preferably with loads of tree cover and completely ignored by 99.99% of anglers and almost definitely ignored by anyone fishing nymphs or softhackles. The main thing here is that you need strong gusty wind , preferably downstream and towards your bank. You need to be a hunter that is prepared to walk , search and stalk. Such water won’t hold many trout but those that you find there can be well above average size. On my travels all the trout that I have found will be tight to the bank, and I mean tight, 6” to 3 feet and there is always some small feature, be it a few strands of weed, a fallen tree branch , something which diverts the surface water and provides some sense of protection. It is important to move slowly, taking time to study the water , 5-10 min’s may be required to survey a small stretch of water. Most trout when you are lucky enough to locate one it will be feeding very confidently and after that its all about stalking it, good presentation , a little luck is required presenting a small fly into a gusting downstream wind. When success comes it will be a defining moment in your angling life and one that will leave you sitting and speechless and very very content with the world.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:32 am

Otter, You're really on a roll now with some very sound insight. I just made the same comment on Carl's All Black fly in the dressing section a few minutes ago about the importance of little black flies in lots of conditions. William's Favorite is also one of mine, in several variations. Dont think just because I have the wire out on my tying station that I've forgotten the little black flies. I'll post a couple a little later. Thanks for continuing this thread with a lot of food for thought as we are about to wet out lines for the weeks to come. (Jim, by the way...I'm going to be needing some black ultra wire in size small and xsmall. :D I'll place an order soon.)

I don't have any idea how to fish still water either, other than stripping, activating streamers, which I have virtually no skill at in slack water. Maybe Ruard and others can chime in with his own canal approaches.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com