Where are the tout !!!!!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Otter

Re: Where are the tout !!!!!

Post by Otter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 am

Having returned to the RV Hank set to sorting out the Nymphs from Zone 1; ‘ MickeyJosephYuleJrRooney Rascal. This is like doing a jigsaw.’ He lined up some of the stackable containers and proceeded to place the nymphs in them , like with like. Surprisingly it only took five containers, mentally labelling them 1 to 5. As with the scuds he got the maths paper, wrote in the distributions of each nymph on each sheet.

Next came the caddis, separated into containers, distributions sheets done up. Hours later, he had completed Zone 1, 2 & 3 and had a total of six nymph containers and four caddis ones. One thing he had not considered was spent spinners, failed emergers and drowned terrestrials. Finding the first one of these led to some head scratching and Hank finally decided to dump these in a separate container.

Hanks trembled as he opened the emerger canister, ‘ this be the one Rascal, the motherlode……’; he did not know what to expect, would this be the holy grail. ‘Big nymphs, Rascal, bet there are a load of big nymphs in here, ready to emerge.’ Tipping it into a container he gasped out loud, ‘ son of a mule, spent spinners, well could I have been more wrong.’ All though there was a few nymphs in the sample, it mainly contained rusty spent stuff, some with fully formed crucifix wings, some wingless, some with one wing, most with long tails’. ' Partridge & Orange, size 16.... holy moley Rascal.'

‘If Joe’s trout had been taking them and had I been poaching, I would have been Skuuuuuuunked right and proper. Rascal, we ain’t no experts yet but this sort of information sure helps.’

Hank finished his labours, carefully photographing and printing the results. Sitting down with a nice bourbon, he sifted through the sheaf of papers but something bothered him. He tried to recall what he had seen during the rise, ‘ rewinding the brain Rascal’, then the penny dropped. ‘Dang diddly , all them trout were sipping very gently and very confidently so lets store that fact away. Trout sipping quietly = maybe Spent Spinners. Rascal remember that little ole lesson for us.’

Hank had enough excitement for one day, tomorrow he would research using the internet. those spent spinners have to be identified first. 'Might just be ready to try a cast over Joes trout next week'.

Is it a dream
that with a gentle sip
recently deceased
take their final trip
the incessant call of the bubbling stream.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Oops...I am falling behind. I need to read the last to posts, when I get home this evening. Looking forward to it. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Hank awoke quite early, that sort of thing tends to happen to those with an agenda for the day ahead. He even switched on the computer before the kettle. Rascal stirred but could sense that Hank was focussed on some task so he just lay there and half dozed.

Coffee in front, sheaf of papers to the left Hank keyed in http://www.troutnut.com and so began the process figuring the identity of his samples. ‘ Links, links, links……’; the power of the web is derived from links but is also its distraction. You set down one path and god knows where you will end up, Samwise Gangee knew that when he stepped outside the shire. After several hours Hank found himself going in circles but the time was not wasted, he had learned a lot but knew that little of it would really register. At least he had figured his way around the site, so resolved to start again with a fresh coffee once Rascal had been fed, watered and both had a short walk.

Back online Hank started looking at the mayflies and honed in on the sulphurs.

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/11/Mayfly ... ulphur-Dun

Opening another tab in his internet explorer Hank googled Sulphur spinner patterns and seen a nice orange one on Hans site.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hwallace/ ... pinner.htm

Could be said Hank, could be a sulphur spinner, but what were they doing on the water so early in the morning. ‘’Hmm Rascal, methinks that Otter fella hadn’t thought his story through fully, let’s put it down to artistic licence.’ Though he found a few possibilities Hank decided that it could be a sulphur and made a bold decision , ‘ Got to start somewhere, I’m going to tie one of them dries from Hans site and a few partridge and orange of different orange threads and will fish both a dry and a spider on the same cast. Even if the name is wrong the patterns should work.' Such was hanks excitement you would swear he had come up with something new that would revolutionise the world of sulphur spinner fly fishing,,,,,, the joy of discovery.

That’s it Rascal, flies are tied, to-morrow we are going poach.., I mean fishing.’

‘Could be a BWO spinner too, Oh dear, I wish I could switch of my brain and get some sleep, goodnight Rascal.’

Is it a dream
that we flatter to deceive
on a singular premise we often place our faith
boldly cast our flies with uncertain expectation
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 am

Hank rose early and made his final preparations. He took the sampling net out of the concealed pouch and replaced it with the recently purchased telescopic fly rod. The net could be carried by hand, if he met Joe all would be fine. Into an inside pocket went the reel, a match box with flies, a spool of nylon and a prepared leader with flies attached. Stopping at the door, he paused and did a mental checklist, satisfied that he was armed and ready to go, he whistled for Rascal.

The weather had changed from the previous day, much cooler and a variable breeze blew up the valley, whistling through the trees. The clear sky had given way to dense dark clouds that stretched grey and cold to the horizon. ‘ Hmm Rascal, there is a storm brewing, should have enough time to have a cast at Joe’s trout though. Hey Ho , Hey Ho, Hank is going fishing…don’y ya know…. Ssssh, don’t go telling anyone Rascal.’

Reaching his pool, Hank bid Rascal to sit beside him and settled into full on observation mode, eyes glued to the far side of the river. Glancing at his watch ‘ C’mon trout, show yourselves , Joe will be here in ninety four, make that ninety three minutes.’ A lone trout splashed somewhere upstream but the river in front was as a graveyard. Hank waited and waited, itching to assemble the telescopic rod, his patience starting to dessert him. With exactly thirty seven minutes to go the silence was broken by a deafening sip, just the far side of the faster water, then another further down. Within minutes the river surface was alive with the sounds and signs of feeding trout. ‘Yipeeee, Hank calling Houston, Houston we have lift off.’

Jumping to his feet, Hank almost reached for the telescopic rod but suddenly remembered that he was not licenced to fish and needed to be sure Joe was not nearby. With fumbling Hands he took out the binoculars and surveyed the terrain upstream, well pleased that there was no sign of Joe he started to unzip his jacket whilst watching the rising trout. ‘ Wait, Rascal…something is not quite right. Those trout are feeding differently than the last day, look , some head and tail rises. Hank calling Houston, Houston mission aborted. Need to do some sampling’.

Having put the sampling net to-gether Hank carefully waded into the stream. Placing it in the upper layers of the faster water he surveyed the water around him. Fish were rising all about him, going quiet for a minute or so then explosive rising. Enthralled by the spectacle Hank was slow to spot the presence of small dark flies, slate grey wings, dark body. Hank lifted the net , turning around to leave the river he almost fell in, Joe was sitting quietly on the bank smiling at Hank.’

‘ Howdy Joe, man you can sneak up on a fellow, Iron Blues, a big hatch of Iron blues , look at them trout go. A’int it a magnificent sight ’; said Hank laying the sampling net carefully on the grass.

Joe was in convulsions, ‘Hank, for a man that cannot fish for a few weeks you sure are set on being prepared. I hope them Iron blues are still hatching when you get your licence. Mind, if you keep sampling there will be no flies left for the trout.’

Hank laughed, ‘ Joe, if you keep sneaking up on me, I could well have a heart attack and have no need to buy a licence. I don’t know much about Iron Blues but I know a few websites where I can get some, I hope you thanked your cousin for me.’

‘ I sure did thank him and this is for you’; said Joe handing Hank a cigarette box.

‘No thanks , gave up smoking years ago, doc told me quit or die, so I quit, odd cigar now and again’; Hank winked at Joe.

Joe grinned, ‘open it Hank.’

Hank took the box and seeing that it did not contain any ciggies he tipped the contents into his hand. A dozen or so flies, all toe tagged and all flymphs and spiders by the look of them. Hank was stunned and almost speechless.

‘ Enjoy them Hank, my cousin is a good angler and knows his stuff. He gets a kick out of sharing his flies with others, not all secretive like many folk on the river. Gotta go Hank and catch some poachers, see ya soon.’; Joe stood, nodded at Hank and quietly walked downstream.

‘ Jeeez, thanks a million Joe, thanks five million.’; Hank stood for an age looking at the flies, looking after Joe. A state of total confusion may best describe his state of mind. He was lucky that he spotted the change in the trout or Joe would have caught him for sure. Placing the flies back in the box he quickly headed for the RV where he could examine them more closely.

Is it a dream
when often the air be cold
an eruption of trout
for dainty Iron Blue
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:46 am

The days rolled by quickly, one after another, sampling, researching, tying flies. No two days on the river were the same, water levels rose and fell, weather changed, fly hatches varied and the trout responded in kind. It was now many weeks later since his first sampling expedition.

Every day Hank brought the telescopic fly rod, intent on catching a trout however on reaching the river he would be distracted by some new event, new discoveries to be made. Gradually he began to read the river, second guessing what was afoot , more than occasionally the sampling proving him correct. More knowledge had been accumulated than he even realised and his awareness of his environment was acute.

A brand new fly box, clear lid over a dozen little compartments had been purchased, not a pill box, a real fly box. Each compartment was carefully labelled and the contents had been painstakingly tied, based on practical sampling of the real flies and much research on the internet. Not a single fancy fly, only seven generic patterns, the rest uniquely specific. Hank was pleased with his labours, knowing that when finally he got fishing that the uncertainties that had dogged him for years were gone.

Joe and Hank met on the river each day and as the days passed Joe began to linger longer, enjoying each others company immensely. When he revealed that he also had been in the navy the bonds of friendship and comradeship were immediate. Joe started helping hank with the sampling and they behaved like excited school children. ‘ Look Joe, a BWO nymph, a mature one at that.’

Hank filled a liberal glass of whiskey, sat back and watched a ball game. Worst game he had seen in ages and he almost fell asleep. He was startled when he heard the knock on the door, it was Joe.

‘ Howdy Joe, come on in, … how did you know where I lived ?’; Hank was more than curious.

Pointing to his nose and laughing ,’ A ranger has to know a lot more than you think Hank. No I cannot come in, I need to be somewhere else an hour ago, this is for you’. Said Joe, handing Hank an envelope.

Before Hank could say a word, Joe was gone. ‘Curiouser and curiouser Rascal’. Sitting down he opened the envelope and gasped. State fishing Licence, Lifetime Licence commencing 1st march 2011. Issued to Hank and Rascal. Hank glanced at the calendar; ‘ Dang diddly, that’s to-morrow Rascal.’ Hank did a war dance, sent the whiskey glass flying, stumbled and fell flat on the ground. Both feet in the air he continued his dance and hollered ‘ We, that’s you and me Rascal, WE are going fishing …. to-morrow, to-morrow, we are finally going fishing. Ranger Joe is a mighty fine friend.’ Only a small drop of the whiskey had been drunk, safe enough to drive. Hank started the engine and drove to the river and parked up for the night.

Hank woke at 11 AM, feeling fully refreshed, he had enjoyed his first decent night’s sleep in weeks. Opening the door he stepped outside, eager to see what type of day it was. He immediately felt the bite of the cold breeze on his cheek and groaned out loud; ‘lordy Rascal, not the type of day I dreamed about last night’. Stretching himself , he glanced at the river; ‘ what the hell am I complaining about, any day is a good day to fish.’ Rascal received a treble helping of bacon and soon Hank was making his way down to the river, rod in hand.

Joe stood as Hank approached, ‘ Howdy angler, you are late. See you got me saying howdy. Not a bad day to catch my trout’

‘Joe, the licence, that is a mighty fine thing to do. Me and Rascal are in your debt’; said Hank.

Joe grinned, ‘ No Hank, the state is in your debt. I brought your issue to the office folk, they brought it higher and it has been decided to change the rules. Licences from now on go year to year. As compensation to you for not been able to fish they decided to issue you a lifetime licence. See Hank, honesty is the best policy. Now, go catch a trout, the river is boiling.’
Hank hadn’t even looked at the river but gasped when he did. Trout were rising everywhere with gay abandon, willing Hank to jump in and cast his flies. Old Hank would have fumbled in the box , tied on his favourite fly and jumped right in there and scare every trout in the river. Instead he wandered to the edge, took out his binoculars and viewed the busy river surface. Spotting some flies coming off Hank smirked, Iron blues again Joe and I have got one of your cousins patterns for such an occasion.

‘ Might be your trout Joe’; said Hank as he waded ashore. Joe took the outstretched net and laid it on the grass. The beautifully spotted brownie lay gleaming on the mesh of the net, a tiny Iron Blue flymph in the corner of its mouth. Joe offer Hank his hand. ‘ Mighty fine trout Hank , mighty fine trout, you are a fine angler and a fine friend ’. After a few photos , Hank carefully returned the trout and both sat watching it disappear into the depths.

After a long silence, Joe turned to Hank, slapped him cheerfully on the back and said. ‘ Hank, I am mightily glad that you didn’t go poaching with your Telescopic Rod.’

‘ Whaaat, how, how did ya know I was…..’; Hank turned a bright red.

Joe tapped the tip of his nose; ‘ A ranger has to know everything Hank, I told you that before. Besides, my cousin Patrick, he is a courier and delivered the telescopic rod to your RV’.

The End

Is it a dream
when all is done
that it matters not
if the trout be lost or won
Last edited by Otter on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:57 am

Otter, Howdy;

Thanks for keepin' me leagle. :lol:
Wonderful tale, hit the spot this morning.
Got finished with the first installation checked the board for any new entrys
an saw another posting to this one.
Dang-diddley... double header !

Thanks for the trip...

hank & Rascal (ruffff)
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:29 pm

:D :D :D That is so fun. Hank makes for a perfect target, and your story is an absolute highlight. Thanks for this.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Enjoyed it immensely, beginning to end.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Dub-ya, Howdy;
William Anderson wrote::D :D :D That is so fun. Hank makes for a perfect target, and your story is an absolute highlight. Thanks for this.

w
Thanks for that...just calls me "bullseye"

hank & Rascal (woof)
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Otter

Post by Otter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Its a pleasure to write about Hank & Rascal.
Given the recent turn of events I ended this a bit premature, time to give the two Mark's some of Turners Cross finest fishing and plenty of abuse from the rest of the miscreants.

Last seasons sampling net intended for use around the rim of the landing net was a triumph of bad design and was as much use as a ........ now sits in some landfill site.

To-day, in a fit of bad humour I set the kids to cleaning out the toy room, in the process I retrieved four lenghts of thin plastic tubing used to make the kids play tents. Each are a set of two that slot into each other , held tight by a bungee cord. I knew they were in there somewhere and long have I intended to make use of them, in fact they were the inspiration for Hanks net.

They are now complete, with small mesh netting stretched for about 2 1/2 ft between them. The four sections fold up nice and will fit in the back pouch of my wading jacket..... if Hank can do it so well can I :D