Wine SH's

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Wine SH's

Post by DUBBN » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 pm

I missed fishing last week due to a head cold. I am heading out in the morning. I am very anxious to try a size 22 Soft Hackle that I tied a couple weeks ago.... Nothing fancy. Just a Mustad dry fly hook, TMC70 Wine thread for the body and a Brown hen hacklefor the collar. I am convinced it will duplicate the Brown midge emergers that were so prevelant a couple weeks ago. I will post results even if it's a complete failure. I gotta sneak'n suspicion it wont be a "complete" failure.
DUBBN

Re: Wine SH's

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:00 pm

The little Wine Soft Hackle did well on some smaller fish in the 14 inch range. For the Brutes (one Bow at 18, and three White Fish at 22-24 inches) it was the Hares Ear Flymph. It produced well enough that I put two on at a time.
Hook - Mustad 3906B
Thread - Uni 8/0 Camel
Tail - Guard Hairs from a Hares mask
Rib - Copper wire X Small
Abdomen/Thorax - 50% Fur from the face of a natural Hares Mask. 50% amber fur from the sides of a Hares mask
Collar - Two turns of Ginger hen hackle

William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Dubbn, Thanks for the pics and the report. Hard to beat a Hare's ear flymph. What type of water were you fishing?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:57 pm

I was fishing the last five miles of the Roaring Fork before it merges with the Colorado at Glenwood Springs Colorado. It's a freestone river with alot of pocket water, deep runs, and alot of riffle water. These are great places to target fish, but what most people dont realize is the subtle troughs that run the length of this river. One to four foot , how do I say? Ditches? In seemingly baron stretches of the river. These ditches/troughs might run for 2 yards or even 100 yards. Believe you me, if you will take the time to find them, you will be richly rewarded. The fish stack in em, and they receive virtually no pressure. Most fishermen, spin, dry, and nymph dont regard ankle deep water as worthy of exploring. It might be ankle deep but if theres any depression in that run, you can bet fish will conregate.
A pic of my friend fishing a little hole next to a serious rapid
I wont post pics of thos little indentations. Gotta find those on your own. :-)
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:35 am

Great thread...........cool flies.........fish.................stories................tips...............pics............etc. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com