First trip of the spring

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

JohnP

First trip of the spring

Post by JohnP » Fri May 06, 2011 3:00 pm

I got out to a small lake near where I live for a couple of hours the other day. Weather was showery, temps in the low 60s, water somewhat stained. I caught about half a dozen trout, a dozen bluegill, including several nice-sized ones for this part of Idaho, and one skinny bass. All fish were released unharmed, and most were caught on the simple muskrat fly, the dressing for which I found on this site. A very nice way to start off the fishing season.
DUBBN

Re: First trip of the spring

Post by DUBBN » Sat May 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Keep that spot a secret. The run-off this year may last quite awhile! ;)
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sun May 08, 2011 10:24 pm

DUBBN wrote:Keep that spot a secret. The run-off this year may last quite awhile! ;)
Your muskrat fly works quite well here in Idaho. Thanks for sharing the pattern. :)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon May 09, 2011 5:47 pm

I am really glad it worked for you. I was starting to think I was the only person West of the Continental Divide that could make it work.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue May 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Congratz John.....if it were me though :roll: i'da kept those Bluegil for the fryin' pan. :D Love those dang things. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Fri May 13, 2011 2:50 pm

willowhead wrote:Congratz John.....if it were me though :roll: i'da kept those Bluegil for the fryin' pan. :D Love those dang things. ;)
I've heard bluegills are pretty tasty. But I am a lousy cook and not that fond of fish. Although I do enjoy a mess of brookies from a mountain lake, rolled in cornmeal and fried in bacon grease. Of course, my shoe would taste OK fried in bacon grease. :lol:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri May 13, 2011 7:04 pm

John - My mouth started watering when I read your description of the brook trout. My mom used to cook them very similar to that. Man, they taste good that way...mmm....

Did you ever notice what color the flesh is on your mountain brookies? In the Adirondacks, the flesh is a deep orange color resembling Pacific Salmon. I think their diet of has an affect on the color of their flesh (and probably their flavor as well). I've noticed that the flesh of the stocked rainbow trout is very pale, almost white in color. I've eaten the stockers, but they don't seem to be as tasty as the little brookies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri May 13, 2011 7:08 pm

JohnP, Howdy;

EVERYTHING tasts better cooked in bacon grease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to roll the bluegill, crappie fillets in ground up corn flakes or wheaties (best is 1/3 wheaties 2/3's corn flakes sh-h-h-h-h-h-hh don't tell anyone) :)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri May 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Hank,

You put some hushpuppies, slaw and sweet iced tea along with those fillets and you've got a meal fit for a king.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri May 13, 2011 9:18 pm

J.P., just clean and scale 'em.....takes bout 5 minutes per fish. Then cook 'em whole 3 or 4 minutes per side. All you need is a bit of butter, lemmon juice, salt and pepper.......byond that, you can get as fancy as you want............but it aint nessessary. When they're done, peal off the skin, chuck it, and split the fish in half and pull out the bones. Then go to town. :D If your a health nut, replace the butter with olive oil. :lol: Little white wine never hurts either. ;) Bluegils KILL! 8-)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com