Cicada Alert

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: Cicada Alert

Post by willowhead » Mon May 16, 2011 1:47 am

DAMN Vicki...........that is SICK...............frickin' SICK!!!!! i knew i was right about your natural abilities............people like PISS me off....... :lol: i guess your just born with techincal savy..........you got world class chops and you only been at it for a couple years.............well, i should be used to that by now.............i been watchin' tyers take right off from the very beginning, first month of classes i ever took in '93...............this Japanese guy made all the rest of wanna slit our wrists. :D
What so incredable about that fly though...........is it's both technically great...........absolutely beautiful (for the fisherman), and undoubtedly a KILLER as well, in terms of the fish and catching them. That frickin' fly is Fly Tyer Magazing READY! Again.....DAMN! ;)

p.s. you DEFINATELY deserve all the hooks i've sent and MORE................. 8-)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Mon May 16, 2011 2:21 am

Well I got all these darn hooks see!?!?

Thanks Mark. It's a first draft but I think a keeper. Totally inspired by Bill's cicada.

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon May 16, 2011 6:32 am

Just two things, Vicki: 1) That fly will attract bass like crazy; it's way better than mine, and, 2) Your ability to pick up on and then master new techniques simply astounds me
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon May 16, 2011 11:37 am

Vicki - Oh my! That is a terrific adaptation of Bill's fly. I agree with all the feedback above. Once again I will include my admiration for those of you skilled in the technique of spinning deer hair. Kudos...

PS - Those poor fish don't stand a chance on your next camping trip. ;) :D Give 'em hell!!!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Mon May 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks guys.

Bill it's not a brand new technique. I learned to spin deer hair last summer when Dave asked for some topwater flies. I just haven't tied too many because it's a pain in the backside. The wings are a little uneven but I could always just cut a little more out of the one side and no one would know the diff. :lol: Furthermore your tying is always impeccable. I really enjoy seeing your creations, I've learned a lot!

Ray I hope the fish don't stand a chance. They have a tendency to be a little dumb anyway. Smallies are always fun.

Vicki
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Mon May 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah! That's a spiffy fly there Vicki
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Just because I can't leave well enough alone and have to complicate matters.... :lol:

I picked up some nice light #6 Partridge Single Wilson hooks and then decided to add some seed bead eyes. Wow they were fun to tie around! I learned you need to tuck the thread in behind the eyes and then instead of spinning the hair stack it in otherwise you just can't get it tight enough. Took a while to figure that out and the eyes are a little crooked but the fish won't see them anyway. :lol: I think a different colour for the eyes may be in order too. These were all I had that were suitable but I think some more clear and closer to the colour of the fly would be better.

Vicki
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Vicki, Howdy;

Ya make me want to crawl in a hole and pull the dirt in on top of me...

Both flys are beautiful...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Excellent fly Vicki. I think you can change the color of the eye with a dab of nail polish.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:14 pm

That's a KILLER Vicki............great work.............like i said before, you got "Chops!" i'm already putting together another package for you.........an olive/yellow Rumph American saddle i got for you in New York at the West Branch Angler.....post cards and stickers.....a crap load of hooks.....a brand new St. Croix hat (got 3, don't need 3 :lol: ).....and some special dubbing :D .....and i'll prolly add some more "stuff" before i ship it all. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com