Cicada Alert

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Cicada Alert

Post by tie2fish » Wed May 11, 2011 10:17 am

I noticed on the internet today that parts of the southern US, including areas in Tennessee, N. Carolina, and Georgia, are currently beginning a major emergence of 13-year cicadas. Those of you who live and/or fish in these areas should take note -- the absolute best trout fishing I have ever experienced has been during such hatches. All of the bigger and normally wary fish will be out in mid-day gobbling up these fat morsels as they fall into the water, so don't miss an opportunity that comes around only once in more than a decade. (Anyone who is interested in seeing a photo of a cicada pattern I developed and have used with great success, send me a PM.)
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Cicada Alert

Post by letumgo » Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill. I don't think Mark or Ron would mind if you added your fly pattern to this thread. I would be interested in seeing your pattern. I love terrestrial patterns.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 pm

YUP! we got 'em here too.......they're already showin' up..........love to see your pattern. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed May 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Bill, I had a day like that on big hunting creek in MD when the 17 year cicada emergence blanketed norther virginia 5-6 years ago. Huge, unnecessary takes by big fish and some that could barely fit the things in their mouths. Then they started to die, and the entire region stunk like a garbage dump in mid summer. Absolutely aweful. But the fishing was fun. Please send me the pattern or just strap a little partridge hackle on the front of one and post it. (smiley).

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed May 11, 2011 12:53 pm

OK, folks -- I'll put them here rather than in the "Dressings" section. Understand that this is not a presentation tie, but simply a fishing fly (and not a particuolarly well dressed one at that).

Cicada Pattern
Hook: 2x or 3x long nymph hook, #6 or #8
Thread: 6/0 Orange
Body; Alternating sections of black and orange spun (or stacked) deer hair, with legs and wings tied in between sections; compress body stoutly after adding each component
Legs: Orange microchenille marked with black craft pen; leave a little long and trim to length after body hair is shaped
Wings: White poly or Antron; also trim to length after body is finished
NOTE: Leaving legs and wings long will provide something to hold onto to keep them out of the way while trimming hair

Trim body to reverse bullet shape with flat bottom (if you stack instead of spinning hair, bottom may not need trimming).
Douse liberally with floatant, cast into current flow, and hold on! I've had big fish swim upstream to get to this fly on both the Gunpowder and Pennsylvania's Spring Creek.

Last edited by tie2fish on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm

OK that's cool. I know some fish that would love that! Nice one Bill!!!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Wed May 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Big Trout snack !
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed May 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Outstanding fly! I always admire tyers with the skill to spin deer hair. A technique I just can't get the hang of...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Totally cool fly Bill...........i got pretty good at working with deer hair way back when.............but i HATE the mess.....so all i ever do with it anymore is Muddler heads and Caddis wings.
i saw a huge Cicada commin' home from our NAFF Tying Meeting tonight.......in my driveway as my headlights hit it. Damn thing was bigger than my thumb. :o :shock: :lol:
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Mon May 16, 2011 12:21 am

So Bill...

I showed your fly to my husband, he really loves topwater fishing for bass, and he liked it very much. So now I'm stuck ;) with making him some. I hate deer hair! :lol: Thank you very much!

Oh I did take a couple of liberties.

Hook compliments of Mark.

:lol:

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.