In a straight line

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

In a straight line

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun May 15, 2011 11:15 am

Hi all,
Have any of you ever fished wingless wet flies in a straight line connected to each other by tying the next fly in the three fly series to the bend of the previous fly? For some reason, to me, it seems like it might not work very well, especially if there is 2-3 feet between flies. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
DUBBN

Re: In a straight line

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 15, 2011 11:30 am

1. Thats the way I do it if I am using three flys. Each fly about 18 inches from the next, tied to the bend of the previous fly. It's kind of the standard three fly/nymph set-up, and I just carried it over to Wets.
2. If I am using only two flys I tie a piece of tippet directly on my leader/tippet above the first fly with an improved clinch knot. I then wet my knot, tighten it, then pull it down to my point fly. Tie the second fly to the tippet, attatch my dropper fly and I am ready to go. This method allows me to pull the dropper tippet away from the first fly, and I can change the point fly without having to change the dropper fly. I rarely get tangles with the this two fly method, unless I add the third fly.
I came up with this method as a kid. I didnt really have anyone to show me the "proper" way to use a multible flys. It's served me well, and I am too stubborn to change.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun May 15, 2011 12:12 pm

I've done it with two, as that's all Maryland law allows, and it works well -- both for casting and for catching.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 pm

New Mexico only allows two flys at a time aswell. If the fish are slamming my Wets on the swing, sometimes two flys can be one too many.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun May 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Soft-hackle,

That method has served me well for decades. I fish a two fly cast about 90% of the time. I will even fish double streamers that way, including salt water. Sometimes I rig the trailer from the eye of the first fly.
Idaho allows five flies but my personal record tangle is only with 4 so far. :D
John L

Post by John L » Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 am

I second DUBBN's method of attaching multiple flies. I can't remember where I got the idea, but it has served me for years, for the reasons DUBBN mentioned. Also, before that when I used to attach a following fly to the bend of the one ahead, I once or twice or maybe more had a hook pull out when a fish on the fly ahead snagged a fly that was trailing. You can probably picture the mechanics of how that could happen, and how the mechanics of DUBBN's way prevents it.
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Mon May 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Dubbn do you use the same size tippet for both flies?

Regards, Jerry
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Jerry G wrote:Dubbn do you use the same size tippet for both flies?

Regards, Jerry
Only if the flies are the same size. If not the same size, I attatch the larger fly first then the smaller fly with the appropriate sized tippets.
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu May 19, 2011 6:52 pm

As t2t pointed out, Maryland only allows two, but I almost always tie to the bend of the top dropper. (I might use a tippet ring in winter, and pre-tie several rigs before leaving home.) In states that allow three flies, I still tie bend-to-eye.

I usually tie the top fly to 5x tippet, and then the bottom fly gets attached to that with 6x. (4x and 5x for waters that aren't gin clear, or for larger flies.) The smaller flies goes on point. I seldom have a problem with this rig. If I reverse that pattern (larger on point) I seem to be far more likely to foul the flies.
Bob
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun May 22, 2011 11:49 pm

I don't. Just stubborn in thinking that it effects (or I don't have control) over the fly's behavior enough. I have buddies that use that method a lot and do just fine. I use a perfection loop at the end of my leader. Tie the dropper off the tag end then attach a bit of tippet with a loop to loop connection out to the point fly. If I add a third fly it is with tippet and a perfection loop around one of the knots above my dropper.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com