Dorber 10 foot 4 wgt rods

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Dorber 10 foot 4 wgt rods

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:00 pm

CM Stewart, thanks, but I think I'll order the real stuff ordereed through the company that Bert linked to. Thanks for the offer though.

Bert, thanks for that link. I'll be ordering some when I get back from the tying expo in Oregon.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Just a thought, but the spool of polypro that Bert ordered is 100 meters. If I recall correctly, Mike uses 20 feet of the polypro line. That's about 15 flylines on one spool of polypro. Bert could sell polypro flylines for say $3 each, plus postage, save everybody enough money to buy more hooks and feathers, and maybe even recoup some of his own line cost.
Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:26 pm

CM_Stewart wrote:Bert could sell polypro flylines.
Absolutely. Spider lines for everyone -- at a price.

But I don't want cash. I want your secret weapons. I wish to be bribed with a small sample of your special trout or smallmouth flies. You know, the ones that you clip off the leader when someone walks by while you're fishing. Here's the deal. I'll cut up my stash into 10 m (30ft) sections and send them to any address in the US. In exchange, please send 3 or 4 flies in the mail to me. You choose the bug.

Since I already cut a couple of sections for myself and another friend, I estimate that I could accommodate up to 5 anglers. Send me a private message with your best offer, name, address (UPS deliverable - no PO boxes please) and phone number. At my discretion, I'll cut and ship until it's gone.

The Private Message feature is on everyone's profile page under the Members list. Here is my profile. http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/membe ... ofile&u=92

Disclaimer: My initial impressions of the polypropylene is mixed. After one short day of trout fishing in a nearby tail water with a Scott LS2 12 ft for a 5 weight, here is what I observed:
1. The line floats as advertised.
2. The line loads the rod well and forms a reasonable loop even at short distances.
3. The level taper is brutal. It turns over hard. Nothing delicate or dainty about the loops.
4. The braiding holds water and will spray while casting.
5. The line sounds gruesome as it moves through the rod guides and tip-top.
6. My Scott rod is too heavy to cast all day with one hand. Being that it is actually a spey rod, a two handed "5 weight" loads like a singled handed "7 weight". It was tiring to cast at the frequency that is required using Mike Conner's upstream spider style.
7. More research is required. A braided or furled leader may help smoothly transfer the energy of the cast.
8. I did not catch any fish. But that's nothing new.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:17 pm

I think I make my leader of the same poly. To make a taper I pull out about 10 treads the last 50 cm. First tread 50 cm from the point next one 45 cm and so on. In this way you can perhaps make a taper in your line. I make a loop on the end and a loop on the butt end. Mostly I make a monofillament inside the butt end to add some weight.
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Disclaimer: My initial impressions of the polypropylene is mixed. After one short day of trout fishing in a nearby tail water with a Scott LS2 12 ft for a 5 weight, here is what I observed:
1. The line floats as advertised.
2. The line loads the rod well and forms a reasonable loop even at short distances.
3. The level taper is brutal. It turns over hard. Nothing delicate or dainty about the loops.
4. The braiding holds water and will spray while casting.
5. The line sounds gruesome as it moves through the rod guides and tip-top.
6. My Scott rod is too heavy to cast all day with one hand. Being that it is actually a spey rod, a two handed "5 weight" loads like a singled handed "7 weight". It was tiring to cast at the frequency that is required using Mike Conner's upstream spider style.
7. More research is required. A braided or furled leader may help smoothly transfer the energy of the cast.
8. I did not catch any fish. But that's nothing new.
Thank you, Bert.

How long a line did you fish? Mike C. stresses that it is supposed to be long rod/short line and casting with just a flick. I imagine that it takes some practise to get a balanced rig and then to fish it properly. Myself, I am slow at learning things.

Regarding the sound in the rings; I thought this to be, more or less, fishing with a fixed length of line. What troubles me more is the part about spraying water. I hated braided leaders for that. Somehow I thought that polypropylene, repelling water, would not carry any water when lifted from the surface. Yes, my eyes are blue.

Level taper. Furled leader sounds interesting. I have never tried one of those. I was about to buy som from mr Quigley since he was much recommended on a bamboo site, but it has yet to happen.

Please, keep us updated.

dd
Bert

Post by Bert » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:00 pm

daringduffer wrote:Thank you, Bert.
My pleasure
daringduffer wrote:How long a line did you fish?

30 feet to the backing. Usually 15 to 20 feet out of the tip-top.
daringduffer wrote:Mike C. stresses that it is supposed to be long rod/short line and casting with just a flick. I imagine that it takes some practise to get a balanced rig and then to fish it properly. Myself, I am slow at learning things.
Yes. Good points.
daringduffer wrote:Regarding the sound in the rings; I thought this to be, more or less, fishing with a fixed length of line.
I was probably fishing a too far. Next time. I'll try a longer leader and shorter line. With a fixed length it doesn't move through the guides as much.
daringduffer wrote:What troubles me more is the part about spraying water. I hated braided leaders for that. Somehow I thought that polypropylene, repelling water, would not carry any water when lifted from the surface. Yes, my eyes are blue.
Fishing a shorter fly line should help with keeping the braiding dry.
daringduffer wrote:Level taper. Furled leader sounds interesting. I have never tried one of those. I was about to buy som from mr Quigley since he was much recommended on a bamboo site, but it has yet to happen.
Even Mike has yet to find a satisfactory technique.