Roaring Fork

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Roaring Fork

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:19 pm

My buddy Bob and I fished the Roaring Fork river today. We floated in our one man rafts, and had one heck of a day! The river is no longer flooding but it is at high water levels. Normally we see these flows for a week or so around Memorial Day, but as you all know, this is the year of the floods here in the Rockies. Our original plan was to float the Gunnison Gorge this weekend, but as of Tuesday the flows went from 1,000 cfs to 3,400 cfs. Thats too much water for me to safely float in the Black Canyon. The flows on the Roaring Fork came down almost 1,000 cfs in the last week, and made it possible to safely float it.
We started our float at exactly 9:00 AM. By 11:00 AM we had each caught more fish than we could count. The water had about 3 feet visibility. Like I said before it's extremely high water, but if you you could locate any slack holding water the fish were stacked in it like fire wood! With the off colored water I decided to dredge the bottom with some larger flys. I started with an egg pattern size 14, with a size 12 caddis pupa dropped of it, and a Muskrat dropped off the caddis pupa.
The first holding water I found, I hooked and landed 6 Bows. All were in the 15 to 16 inch range. All took the caddis. I switched the egg and Muskrat for a Hares Ear Soft hackle, and a Touch Dubbed Hares Ear SH, but the Caddis Pupa stayed on, and the fish kept nailing it. I did take a few on both Soft Hackles but it was obvious, they wanted that big Caddis.
After lunch, we crossed the half way point and also flowed past the confluence with the Crystal River. Just like that the the flows doubled to over 4,000 cfs. No worrys, the fish were still easy to find. A drag free drift almost always resulted in a hook up. Bob nailed a 3.25lb Rainbow first thing in the morning. Most of my Bows were the 15 to 16 inch variety, and I loved catching every single one of them!
I did catch one Brown that was 19 inches long and weighed 2.5 lbs. My big fish of the day was a 24 inch White Fish that weighed 3.75lbs. This September when she is full of eggs, she will be a State record Whitey! I will mention now that mine and Bobs nets have built in scales, and they are accurate to within a couple ounces. Alot of my other fishing buddies will no longer allow me to net their fish anymore. My silly net stops the BS'ing :D

Caddis Pupa:
Hook - Dai-Riki 135 14-10
Thread- Gudebrod White
Abdomen- Olive Brown D-Rib (Medium)
Thorax- Peacock herl, Muskrat or any color of Hares ear. Today it was Light Chocolate colored Hares mask
Hackle - Brown Hen hackle or Brown Partridge. Today it was Partridge
Head - Tan Ostritch herl
Use a Olive or Brown Sharpy to color the thread as you make your whip finish

This was the average Bow for today. If you ever hear me complaining about fish like these feel free to slap me!

I got the idea for the Caddis pattern on this forum. I wish i could remember who tyed it, but for the life of me I cant :( I started using it this Spring with decent results. After fishing it in high water, it now has a permanent spot in my fly box!
DUBBN

Re: Roaring Fork

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Sorry about the pic of the fly. It is a bit blurry, but I am too dang tired to fire up the camera tonight. The pic was taken a few weeks ago
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Color me jealous! Sounds like you had a heck of a day.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:25 pm

WOW ! I'm living in the wrong state.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Thankx for the great report.....glad you had a teriffic time, and got home safely. Cool lookin' fly & a nice Bow..... ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:31 pm

Howdy All;

Dubbn, great report, happy to hear you're doin' well.

Hijack notice:

Head weather guesser was just sayin' that Lake Powell is up 49 FEET since April, rising at the reat of 6 inches per day and the level is 20 feet above last year at this time.
Highest levels since the end of the last centery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Powell

We return you now to your regularly scheduled chit-chat.. :)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:24 am

Dubbn,

Just heard on the news that this is the final weekend for the local ski resort this skiing season. They got their last snow on the 18th of June, which left them with over 160 inches. Now that all that stuff is melting off, you know what out local rivers are like. I'm heading further west to some of the rivers that empty into the salt. Hopefully they are in better shape.

Glad you had a great day. Thanks for posting a pic of your fine looking fish. If you complain about fish like that, I'd be happy to slap you, but, after 23 years in the Army, I hate standing in line. Thanks for sharing your day on the water with those of us who are fishing day deprived.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:47 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: If you complain about fish like that, I'd be happy to slap you, but, after 23 years in the Army, I hate standing in line.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now thats funny!
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:49 am

hankaye wrote:Hijack notice:

Your new forum name is gonna be "Hijack Hank"! :lol:
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:11 am

Great report on a great day! Man, that is one beautiful fish, and the caddis pupa is as well.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"