Pop Series Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Pop Series Flies

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Letumgo and I were discussing his Pop Series Flies last week. He asked if I would like to try some here in Colorado. Normally, I dont use other peoples flies, as I spend too much time at the desk tying my own. However I am very intrigued by the design, and Ray should be a salesman as he has a great pitch line... "They Catch fish"...So I said yes, please send a couple. In the mean time I cant wait for them to get here so I sneak a peak at them on another board. I do my best to duplicate them with the hooks and materials on hand. Heres a peak at my version..

Heres a peak at what I did with them on the Roaring Fork today....

The little size 10 is in the corner of the little Bow's mouth. I caught quite a few more fish and quite a bit bigger fish, but I am sorry to say I dont have many pics. The Pop Series almost performed aswell as the Caddis Pupa, but I had to give the edge to the caddis on trout.

After I slid a gold bead above the Pop Series, the Whiteys went ballistic for it!!!

I tryed to get better photos but uh, hmmm, well...The fishing was so damn good I didnt worry about it!!! There I said it. I'd rather catch lots of fish than take pics!!! :evil:
Heres a blurry pic of the last fly just before I lost it to the rocks at the bottom of the Roaring Fork. I tryed to show how shredded the Orange floss had become after all the fish.
Thanks Ray, that pattern has a permanent spot in my fly box. I cant wait to see the originals tyed by you!
willowhead

Re: Pop Series Flies

Post by willowhead » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:43 pm

WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Cool.....tkx. for sharin' Wayne. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Looks like a VERY good day!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Who's the salesman now? :D :lol: ;)

Awesome post, Wayne. I was hoping that you would have received the flies by now. Looks like you did a great job tying the fly on your own. I love it when the fish tear the thing to shreds. I've continued to catch fish on flies that are "ruined".

Your post made my day! :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Darn good pattern Ray. You can knotch another State down for it. The giant Stones just finished up here a few weeks ago. They are Black and Orange. I was hoping the fish remembered that color. Looks like they did.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:15 pm

What a beautiful bug........i love pickin' those things up and playin' with 'em, in front of people who don't know what they are....... :D :P :lol: That's fun. Specially if someone is riding in your back seat, and one comes in the window, and you catch it, and throw it in the back seat..... :o :shock: :lol: :D :evil: :P
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:58 pm

What an awesome bug! How big is that? Perfect fly for that one.

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:27 am

kanutripr wrote:What an awesome bug! How big is that? Perfect fly for that one.

Vicki
Vicki, as nymphs they are any where from a half inch to almost three inches long. They stay in the river from 3 to 5 ( I am not sure which) years. As adults they are about 2.5 inches long and horrible flyers. The nymphs are present in our rivers year round, and as such, are a very important food source. Especially to large trout.

Pteronarcys californica aka Giant Stonefly, Salmonfly, Willowfly (to OLD locals here in western Colorado)

The nymphs colors vary from stream to stream, from a light Olive to almost Black. The adults, here in Western Colorado all have the Orange Black coloration pretty much like the adult in the picture.
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:19 am

Great Post Dubbn!
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:47 am

michaelgmcgraw wrote:Great Post Dubbn!
I'll say "Yay" to that!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"