Coiled Leaders - Indicators

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

RnF

Re: Coiled Leaders - Indicators

Post by RnF » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Well, my coiled leader was a flop. I need to find another leader type to use. I bought one with "low memory", (accidentally, was looking at the color contents, not the writing on the box) well it lived up to it's name. After boiling and freezing the leader in it's coil, it pulled right out and lasted all about 10 seconds. So I didn't get a proper testing in.

I have a few cronies that I will have to bug for more info on making these, because a few of them swear by it. Thanks for all the feed back, it looks like this will be a nice tool to have in the bag, but may not be a primary means of approach for most situations.

I haven't given up on it yet.

On a side not, the fishing was good this past weekend, not great but it sure was good to get out for a few days.
Scott D
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:09 pm

The instructions I've seen all seem to call for Golden Stren, usually 6 or 8 # test. Basically, take 12" of Golden Stren, tie a perfection loop in each end, pin one loop to a pencil, wrap the Stren around the pencil and pin the other loop to hold it. Boil for 5 minutes, then put in the freezer overnight.

I must confess I haven't actually made or fished with one, but supposedly if you grease it so it will float and then fish with your line just tight enough to barely stretch the coil, it will then show the slightest tap of a fish - much more sensitive than either a standard indicator or a dry/dropper setup.

I don't have any 6-8 # Golden Stren and I can't justify buying a whole spool just for 12" but I'll probably try to make one with the 14# Golden Stren I do have. I'll try to report back after the season opens and I've had a chance to try it.
Last edited by CM_Stewart on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RnF

Post by RnF » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 pm

CM_Stewart wrote:The instructions I've seen all seem to call for Golden Stren, usually 6 # test.
Hmm, pretty sure that is what I used. I was told 10lb though, maybe a lighter lb will work better. I could have just prepared it completely wrong too.
Scott D
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Stren has a number of different lines. What I have is the gold "Original" Stren. I made one the other day and it seemed to come out fine. The coil has relaxed some, so it is now about 1/2" in diameter rather than pencil diameter, and the coil is probably 3 1/2 to 4" long rather than the 2 1/2" I wrapped around the pencil. When I pull it tight and stretch it a bit, as if I had a fish on the line, and then let it go it goes back to the same coil, though.

The 14# test I have may not be optimal, but I'd be happy to send you a couple feet if you want to try it again.

As an alternative, an indicator made from 12" of hi-vis flyline backing or short furled leader (6" fluorescent orange and 6" chartreuse, with black bars every 3" made by a waterproof marker) works very nicely as well. One advantage of this type of indicator is that in addition to indicating strikes, it will indicate if you have a too much slack in your line which will cause you will miss delicate takes. The black bars help to see if the indicator is straight or curved. If it is curved you have too much slack.
RnF

Post by RnF » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:01 pm

CM,

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to give it another go and pay attention to what type of line I get. :oops:

I really like your idea of using fly line backing. White seems to be seen by my eyes the best, so I think I will track some old backing down and give that a go. I could put some floatant on the line too.

Thanks!
Scott D
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Using fly line backing is not my idea. I picked that one up on another forum.
RnF

Post by RnF » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Well, I am sure that someone from that forum got the idea from someone else. Either way, I appreciate the input and the "passing" on of information.
Scott D