Fun Float

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Fun Float

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 pm

My buddy Bob and I floated the Eagle here in W. Colorado today. Conditions were very tough. High water, and it was Gin clear. I dont know what was happening, but we had an extremely hard time getting drag free drifts. It seemed every run, and hole had a couple back eddys and/or conflicting current at different levels of the water column.

I did have fun, but I feel the river bested me. I managed 3 Bows, 3 Browns, and a Whitey about the size of a banana. Two of the Bows were only 16-17 inches long but very fat. They both were within 4 -6 ounces of three lbs. The Browns were about 14 inches long. I bet I get this river dialed in before the snow flys.

All three Bows took a size 16 PMD Soft Hackle. The Browns and the Whitey all took a size 14 Caddis Pupa.

At lunch I beached my raft on a section of river that looked like every rock was set out like a cobble stone road. The rocks were about two thirds the size of a bowling ball. On each and every rock was atleast one Giant Stonefly Shuck. Some rocks had as many as 7 or 8 shucks on them.

Heres a pic of the Eagle River as it makes it way down the valley to rondezvous with the Colorado. Only about 7 more miles to go.

The only pic of a trout I got was of this little guy. He's maybe 13 inches long but he fought with heart. He tangled in my leader and got a fly stuck above his eye. He was released a bit bloody, but wiser for the experience.

kanutripr

Re: Fun Float

Post by kanutripr » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:35 pm

A fine way to spend a July day. Every time I see pics of someone else's river I want to go. We have perfectly fine rivers here but yours look so much fun!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:51 pm

kanutripr wrote:A fine way to spend a July day. Every time I see pics of someone else's river I want to go. We have perfectly fine rivers here but yours look so much fun!

Vicki
As long as they run down hill! :lol:
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Is there any other way? Some are just more down hill than others. :lol: The problem with canoes though is the wind is ALWAYS in your face. You can head out across a lake and the wind is in your face and then when you head back IT'S IN YOUR FACE AGAIN! What's the deal with that? :roll:

Vicki
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:49 pm

I've been told the rivers in Utah run uphill. Hank may know about that. :shock:
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:58 pm

i've seen rivers/streams run uphill quite a few times.......it's strange. And it had nothin' to do with whatever i may have consummed...... :D :P :lol: No b.s., it happens.
Vicki, funny how a river can do that to ya..........pics of someone elses water always look alluring. When you get there it's ALWAYS the same ole, now what, where, when, how, why come, etc.........???????? Rivers some of the most mystifying, mysterious, magnificent, & magic, things on earth. Not to mention MARVALOUS! :lol:

Glad you had a good day Wayne..... ;)
Last edited by willowhead on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:06 pm

Dubbn, Howdy;

Looks you are havin' a good time.

poor lil' feller rose when he shoulda dove...

Wonder if trouts and other fishes tell 'got caught' stories...There I was mindin' my own biddness along comes this tasty lookin' morsel. Well, next thing ya knows I'm inna fight of my life....

hank
Last edited by hankaye on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:19 pm

DUBBN wrote:I've been told the rivers in Utah run uphill. Hank may know about that. :shock:
HMMMMMM. :lol:

Vicki
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 pm

"inna"godavida........... :D :lol: :P or is that DUHvida?????????? :roll: 8-) :P
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for sharing, DUBBN.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"