In this world

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fflutterffly

In this world

Post by fflutterffly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:21 am

Of Flymphs and Wets is there a hopper pattern? I've been up since 4:30 tying yellow/brown legged winged hoppers for an up coming trip. Anyone? Anyone?
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
tie2fish

Re: In this world

Post by tie2fish » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:42 am

I've got one in a flybox someplace that I'll try to find later today.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:57 am

Probably no surprise that letumgo is way ahead of us: :)
http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... lit=hopper
Hopefully the pictures will load, but it's a great looking spent hopper--though no doubt it sounds like a wet mop when it hits the water.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:15 am

I see that the photo from my original post have disappeared. I will fix them when I get home. In the mean time, here is a link to the "Harry Plopper Hopper" I posted a while back. I had great luck with this pattern. The fish loved the "splat" it made and the slow sink below the surface.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern8479.html
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Great hoppers and plopper, but are there any flymph or wets that are hoppers?
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Here's a soft hackle hopper pattern that I got from a friend who says he saw it in a magazine a couple of years ago. I have fished this with great success in the late summer/fall even when there were no hoppers readily apparent.

Hook: Daiichi 1270 (or similar), #8-14, with or without bead
Thread: Yellow or primrose
Hackle: Partridge or mallard or hen
Rib: Midge tubing (or wire or tinsel or stripped hackle stem)
Tail: Red hackle fibers (or floss or silk fibers)
Body: Tapered "buggy" dubbing (golden olive works well)
Legs: Large trimmed ginger hackle feathers; "traditional" knotted PT fiber legs work well also
Wing: (Optional) 3-4 pheasant tail fibers
Head: Dubbing, slightly darker than body

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Ray & t2f, Howdy

Ray, .... :o (no further comment available).

t2f, .... :shock: ( ").

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:20 pm

OK now that's what I'm talking about!!! :o :o :o This is the fly. thank you so much.I'm tired of tying foam hoppers and this looks so real.
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:13 pm

I found this on www.flyfishingmaryland.com

tips for the Sunken Hopper

Sunken Hopper Tips
Post by: wetfly1 on July 30, 2008, 12:22:01 pm
For those of you with questions about the 'sunken hopper' , the recipe is as follows:

hook/bead-daichi 1270 #10-14, black nickle tungsten bead to match size.

thread-primrose/yellow 8/0

tail/tag-small bunch of red hackle fibers or red pearsall's as a tag.

body-any color of "buggy" dubbing you might have... I tied mine w/ a golden color.

rib-midge sized wire in red, gold, or I like the bronze color for this one.

legs-large ginger hackle feathers, one for each side... tied in concave side out w/ tip toward the hook gap. The "bend" of the knee should be at the tail/tag tie in point.

wing case-3-4 pheasant tail fibers

collar-1 1/2 turns of partridge or any other you may prefer.

head-dubbed slightly darker than body

A few reminders:
1) Tie thread down to just past the hook point and tie in the tail... the tail should be just a "puff" really, and should not extend past the bend of the hook.

2) Tie on the section of wire for your rib at the tail tie in and wrap thread over it and the feather scrap to the head and back making an even body.

3) Dub a slightly plump body to about a hook-gap width from the head, then rib and secure wire.

4) Prepare two hackle feathers for the legs by stripping off the white fluff at the bottom. Gently stroke the fibers down toward the base creating a tie in point. Tie in feathers at the base of the abdomen you just dubbed with two snug but NOT TIGHT wraps (tip to the bend-concave side out).

5) Holding each end of the feather, slowly draw the feather through the wraps toward the hook gap. Be sure to not pull the feather all the way through (pay attention to the length of the fibers as you pull). Stop pulling when the original tie in point on the feather reaches the tail tie in. You should now see a thigh of the hopper leg take form with the fibers of the feather forming the upper leg. Repeat for other side. Place a drop of cement at the point you tie in the legs and give it a half hitch in case you cut your thread loose when trimming excess. You should select a rather stiff hackle for this with long fibers. I pull mine from the back of the cape as they are the longest. Now looking at the legs, notice where the hackles are folded forward forming the thigh... on the "tag" end of the feather trim the hackle fibers as close as you can along the stem to the folded over section. This will resemble a spiky stick which will become the foot section. With both hands place a bend down at the point where the thigh starts and trim foot section to size.

6) Place 4 pheasant tail fibers between the leg tie in on top of the shank and tie in so that they splay over the abdomen.They should extend just over the abdomen, not reaching the tail.

7)Tie in and give two wraps of hackle and finish head with dubbing to the bead.

I couldn't find a link to the tying instructions, so I hope this will suffice until I can at least get a picture up!

tight lines!

mike r
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:59 pm

ff ~ Mike Ragan is the friend I was talking about ...