Post by Mike Connor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:41 am

Yep, those lights are great;

handy for legering at night as well! :)

TL
MC
Otter

Re: What rod do you use?

Post by Otter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:33 am

Sacre Bleu, soon you will be showing pictures of maggots and worms and dyed prawns... :D

The truth is out, Mikes success with the long rod is owing to the fact that only with a long rod can one successfully cast a spider with a maggot impaled upon it. He even admits doing it at night with lights. Poachers the lot of you :D ;) :lol:

and here's an appropiate knot for using with the long rod http://videofishingknots.com/poachers-noose.html

Locate a trout, using the long rod drop the noose in front of the trout and let the current take the noose over the head of the trout. Great skill is required in the cast to allow for the vagaries of the current. When the trout is in the noose a strong strike is required and if successfully done the rod is swung high over the shoulder throwing the trout up onto the bank. If the noose is made of nylon or twine it is referred to as a Soft noose, the use of wire may be considered as cheating. :)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:04 am

Otter, Howdy;

But what you know of these things is all hear-say.
For the wiley Otter needs not cheat nor poach.

Poaching is a method of cooking for eggs and salmon ... ;)

hank

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:31 am

A poached, poached trout is very tasty and once eaten the evidence of all the poaching is no more.

Have been searching but have yet failed in the quest for a suitable 12ft/13ft match rod with sliding reel seat.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:27 pm

It is mostly the historical aspects of fishing (upstream) with long rod/short line that intrigues me. This is the way flies were fished before the reel was invented. I've read the book Mike has linked to - "The Angler and the Loop Rod by David Webster" - I've read it on the screen which is something I hate to do. I've also read about how our forefathers here in Scandinavia used to fish the fly. And - of course I have read of North Country wet fly fishing. To me, this seems to blend together in a way I just have to try. By using the long rod with a fly reel I can silence those who question whether Tenkara is fly fishing. Eventually I will try that to, where allowed.

To be honest, a duffer is most successful with the dry fly. It's time for a change. I have to develop my methods and my skill, using a romantic approach in the process. How about that?

dd
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:22 pm

daringduffer wrote:It is mostly the historical aspects of fishing (upstream) with long rod/short line that intrigues me. This is the way flies were fished before the reel was invented. I've read the book Mike has linked to - "The Angler and the Loop Rod by David Webster" - I've read it on the screen which is something I hate to do. I've also read about how our forefathers here in Scandinavia used to fish the fly. And - of course I have read of North Country wet fly fishing. To me, this seems to blend together in a way I just have to try. By using the long rod with a fly reel I can silence those who question whether Tenkara is fly fishing. Eventually I will try that to, where allowed.

To be honest, a duffer is most successful with the dry fly. It's time for a change. I have to develop my methods and my skill, using a romantic approach in the process. How about that?

dd
All excellent reasons to try it, and of course similar to my own reasons for doing so, but there is one major reason you left out! You catch more fish! :)

You can use these rods for "Tenkara" fishing if you want. There are considerable similarities in any case to various upstream methods. Indeed, the rods and setup are extremely versatile and can be used for a lot of things, Czech nymphing, dry fly fishing, etc etc. This takes a little practice at first, but is then much more efficient and comfortable. You have to lose the "modern casting" mindset. It is not necessary with a long rod.

TL
MC
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Mike Conner, Howdy;

[quote="Mike Connor] ... This takes a little practice at first, but is then much more efficient and comfortable. You have to lose the "modern casting" mindset. It is not necessary with a long rod.

TL
MC[/quote]

One should be careful when pointing to the fact that a good number of folks will be estatic to know they will not have to lay-out large sums of money to learn the fine art of casting. Or, as I prefer to say "beating the air into submission". :lol: :lol:
Of course I'm joking .... or am I ????? :?

hank
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Indeed, one can hardly be careful enough! :) Especially as more than a few seem to prefer submissive air to captured trout. Upsetting their sensibilities, ( or perhaps their profit margins! :) ), in this regard may well cause them to try beating you into submission instead!

I always found it rather curious that doing anything "different", even if, or especially when, it is more successful, really upsets a lot of people. Even just the mention of it can cause symptoms approaching apoplexy in some. Using long rods was of course once the "norm", and "short" rod users were considered upstarts! Just how it goes............

Still always best to remember the words of some very wise philosopher, ( at least I think it was a wise philosopher? ), " It's not the length that counts so much, it's how you use it". Although perhaps he was talking about something else?

TL
MC
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:59 am

Mike Connor, Howdy;

P'haps t'was a she wot said it 'steed of a he..... ;)

hank
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:55 am

All things are possible, even female philosophers! :) ( Sorry ladies, only joking!).

TL
MC