What rod do you use?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike Connor

Re: What rod do you use?

Post by Mike Connor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:20 am

MuddlerDaddy wrote: Mike, many thanks again for the valuable information you provide ! I will be reading it several times over..
Rick
My pleasure, glad to hear you find it useful.

TL
MC
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:49 am

Mike Connor, Howdy;

Happy to see the detail that you put into each post. I sometimes find I have to break-up my reading of your postings
so that I can diegest the information before I read some more. This IS a good thing!
Thought I'd ask, ... Is it alright with you if I copy your posts and save them for my future reading and studing.
I ask as I remember there was a copyright issue some time ago.
Thanks for sharing the knowledge that you have spent a majority of your life accumulating.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:06 pm

hankaye wrote:Mike Connor, Howdy;

Happy to see the detail that you put into each post. I sometimes find I have to break-up my reading of your postings
so that I can diegest the information before I read some more. This IS a good thing!
Thought I'd ask, ... Is it alright with you if I copy your posts and save them for my future reading and studing.
I ask as I remember there was a copyright issue some time ago.
Thanks for sharing the knowledge that you have spent a majority of your life accumulating.

hank
Indeed, it can be rather a lot to take in all at once. That is of course not how I learned it either! :)

Certainly, feel free to copy anything you want to for your own use. The only thing I object to, and will refuse permission for in most circumstances, is my material being used in commercial ventures without my permission. I can and will stop that.

You can use programs like this to copy the stuff directly;

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... scrapbook/

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/writer.html ( You need the Kingsoft Writer FREE). Just mark whatever you want to save and then paste it into the writer. This will automatically save the pictures etc, as well, and you can save the document however you want. You can also add other stuff to the same document so that you have it all in one piece. Or add your own notes etc.

TL
MC
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:21 pm

whatever's handy...........lol...........my two favorties (for general Trout fishin'), are both in need of repair..........actually one needs total replacement. The T&T i slammed in the car door, so it's gotta be replaced. Prolly won't be able to be replaced by now........got it at TUY2K (2000), in Syracuse, N.Y. at the Annual TU Conclave for upin' my membership to Lifetime...........beautiful rod.........but they may not even make it anymore. And my Gatti needs to have the reel seat reclued..........they're both 3 piece, 9 ft. 5 wts. medium/fast action........the Gatti is a PA (progressive action)........smooth as hell.
i think these guys usin' 10 footers are on to somethin' though.....my wife does that a lot.........the water your fishin' gonna dictate somma that for ya. If i'm rock hoppin' a mountain brook, i'll still use a 5 ft or 6 ft. Boo anyday. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 pm

willowhead wrote: i think these guys usin' 10 footers are on to somethin' though
I agree Willowhead - Im going to try the 10' 5 weight first on the streams just to see if the length will work ok. It will be a while before I find out though!

MD
"Some men would rather be photographed with their fish than with their wives." Gwen Cooper and Evelyn Haas
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Mike Connor, Howdy;

Thanks for the permissions and the link for the software download.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Wow. Lots to read and catch up on. Thanks again, Mike.

The current rods I use for most of my wet fly fishing (in addition to my Tenkara) are the Greys Streamflex 3wt 10' and a wispy little Scott G-Series 1wt 8'. The Greys is technically a Euro-nymphing rod, but it's soft tip and relatively moderate mid and butt sections makes it a dandy wet fly stick--excellent for controlling flies on/in the water and perfect for roll and spey casts.

The Scott is in a different class. It's a sweet dry fly rod, but it's very moderate action makes it perfect for up and downstream wet fly presentations. It was originally made for the Japanese market and there is probably less than 100 of them in North America. I just love this rod. The only drawback is the length--even a half foot would make a huge difference, but then it would end up being an entirely different rod. Whenever possible, this is the rod I reach for first.

Aaron

BTW I did a short review of the Greys on my blog: Greys 10' 3wt Review
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
MuddlerDaddy

Post by MuddlerDaddy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey Aaron,
Whats the biggest size fly you can use on the one weight and why did you choose that rod?

Rick
"Some men would rather be photographed with their fish than with their wives." Gwen Cooper and Evelyn Haas
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi Mike;

Is the match rod in your link a fly rod? If so what line weight is it?

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:01 pm

wayneb wrote:Hi Mike;

Is the match rod in your link a fly rod? If so what line weight is it?

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb
No. Line weight is not a useful concept in regard to long rods for this purpose. They are normally fished with 18...25 feet of whatever casting line the user wants to use. Most light match, ( A description used because these rods were used for "match"= competition fishing for coarse fish="non-game" fish. What you would probably call "whitefish".), or light float rods have a test curve of from four to six ounces. They would normally be used with line weights approximating AFTM #4...#5

One often needs to modify match or float rods to make them suitable for use as upstream spider rods. Different rings, and different reel seat fittings. One may also obtain some blanks for this, but I have nearly always modified match rods. Here is a picture of one I am in the process of modifying for somebody,this already has suitable sliding reel fittings, only the rings have to be replaced and the blank sanded to remove the colour and "flash";

TL
MC