Wet Fly DVDs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FliTrap

Re: Wet Fly DVDs

Post by FliTrap » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:06 pm

I agree with "learn all that you can learn...." approach! And the if you really want to test your brain, take one doz. of the same fly, a rod and spare leader set up, and fish until you drop!
The methods shared by all those who fished before us are your guide for the day to "make that fly catch fish!" And, that it will!
Take that one fly.... turn it every way but loose! Up stream, across and down.... fish it top to bottom, no matter what some one told you it was designed for!
Then you are fishing.... thinking and learning!
And each fish caught.... you will remember every detail of what you did to catch it!
FliTrap

P.S. I often tie flies the same ways! New materials into "old" styles or patterns or old materials into "new patterns"! They are all flies! They all will fish!
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:23 pm

FliTrap, Howdy;

Thanks for the ideas.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Trap you have said it so well.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Hank!
This "open-minded" approach to fly tying & fishing will drive everyone you fish with a bit "crazy"! :? When I'm on the "catch", they can't match my fly (unless I give them one!) or for that matter, presentation that I'm using! Like yelling out that I'm flipping a dry fly, fished "just off bottom...." :twisted: , will tend to freak them out! Or a "soft hackle" fished "on the surface...and stripped back after reaching the dangle! :|
Or calling out that the trout are killin' on a midge nymph, then they see its a size 10 hook! :mrgreen:
FliTrap

Yes, its true...... :roll: that I almost flunked "coloring"..... never stayed in the lines or for that matter, used the "normal" colors! :ugeek:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:58 pm

FliTrap - I like your attitude. That kind of experimentation keeps thing fresh and interesting.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi All;

Santa gave me both Davy Wotton DVD's for christmas and I've found time to watch "Wet Fly Ways." I'm impressed, learned a lot that I can't wait to try.

Wayneb
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:38 pm

Ray!
Don't get me wrong! When the trout are taking the "regular flies, I'll pitch them until I get tired of catching! Then I go on to play! Most often, its the "getting out there.....", spending time with friends and doing something that I normally don't do! Until then.... tie more flies, read and study anything I can find!
With all of the "bells and whistles" we have in fly fishing, these days..... why, I got so excited to know that now all you need to really do, is get a cane pole and a hand full of "backwards soft hackles", and focus on real fishen'!!!
We come full circle!
FliTrap
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:12 am

Well guys, I wasn't trying to be provocative.
What I was trying to say is that the DVD is superb and well worth watching. I was not trying to suggest that we should all jump on the 'wet fly' bandwagon. Quite tom opposite really.
I also think that anglers (in general) move away from tried patterns in the belief that somewhere out there is a 'silver bullet' that will make them a better fisherman instead of concentrating on techniques.
In someways, that is what Davy is saying and why I choose to predominantly fish the NCF way.
We should all do what we think gives us the most enjoyment, upstream, downstream, wet fly, dry fly, nymphing, czech nymphing, New Zealand style, Spanish style etc etc or a combination od all.
For me, I have fished for so long in many countries around the world that I have tried them all. And, I have settled on an 80/20 set of techniques. 8)% of the time it is using NCF's and the techniques that were used way back and the remaining 20% with dries.
But, what I do know is that where ever I have fished wet flies win hands down. Even Davy's style or my own NCF style.
It is all about preference and each of us is different.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 am

flyfishwithme, Howdy;

Philip, I think that, if I were to expand what I said earlier, The differences in the local climes, the differing
insect life, day to day ranges of flow rates, sunny day or overcast, etc.
These all have an impact on what we as fisherfolk mentally adjust to. Some without even realizing that we have.
The 'internal computer' has taken in the data as we approach the water. We then start to make 'conscious'
observations, temperature, water clarity, etc. We make our judgments as to what we do based upon what we
know and have experienced. We choose which fly to tie on, which cast to use and which direction
up or down... the choices are there for us to make.

Wither we utilize the correct ones only the fish can tell us.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Phillip!
As is common, on this site, (as much as I read!), we all enjoy the chance to put our two cents in! Having watched the DVD noted, no less then 12-times, and having known Davy with personal encounters for more then ten years, I can fully agree that a person would not be at loss of time or money, by investing in this DVD!
I thank you for bringing it up for review, here!
FliTrap