Bamboo rods for flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Tom Smithwick

8 foot 4 weight for flymphs

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:34 pm

I love to fool around with tapers for bamboo rods. I have done a lot of variations on 8 foot 3 and 4 weights based on an F.E. Thomas rod I restored about 15 years ago. This rod is the final variation, actually a minor variation on the original in which I mostly just revised the tip to a more convex configuration. The overall action is still a slightly slow medium, but I get a crisp, accelerating feel from the tip as it turns over. Here is what it looks like, nothing fancy, but the best cane work I can do.

I will post the gauge chart and numbers for those who might be interested.
Tom Smithwick

the numbers

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Smuggler

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Post by Smuggler » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:50 pm

That's beautiful work Tom! I'd be interested in seeing the chart. I'm slowly collecting some tools and literature to read up on.

Edit: Never mind! You're on it!
Tom Smithwick

the thickness chart

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:53 pm

The green line is the actual taper.

Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:21 pm

Thank you Tom.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:40 pm

Tom, is this a cousin of the 8' one piece 4wt of yours I cast last year? I may have slow progress toward getting to build one myself, but it's still in my future.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:46 am

Hi William - The rods are very close in taper. Basically, I removed a localized dip in the butt section that was probably an accident in the original Thomas taper to begin with, and I revised the top 15" of the tip into the convex dip you can see on the chart. I used a lightweight truncated ferrule to help preserve the full flexing feel of the rod. The small weight saving matters on a light taper like this. On a fast taper, not so much.
Rod design is a tricky business. There are various methods of going about it, some intuitive, and some highly scientific. All will get you "on the paper" as the shooters say, but getting exactly what you want often comes down to some trial and error. The reason that there is only one tip is that I wanted to try out the new scheme before I built the second. The cane is all split and ready to go, in this case, I am making no changes. That does not mean everyone will like it. One of the guys I learned from once told me "It is impossible to make a fly rod so good that everyone will like it, but also impossible to make one so bad that nobody will like it". As an amateur, I only have to please myself, but this one is getting very good reviews.
swellcat

Re: Smithwick Eight for Four — "The Flympher"

Post by swellcat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:00 am

. . . full-flexing feel . . . overall action is still a slightly slow medium, but I get a crisp, accelerating feel from the tip as it turns over.
Boy, that rod sure sounds good to me, and it looks good, too.
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet