Bamboo rods for flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby Mataura mayfly » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Other day I had the chance to hold/grass cast/carry a PHY Para 15 (wasn't it Boris?). I didn't actually fish it as river conditions were not conducive and I was being ugly with a team of nymphs so used a graphite as the cane rod was not mine and I did not want to goof a cast that lead to bead/hook strikes in the tip section.
But I digress.
To me, that rod would have made an ideal NZ sub surface rod and it was all to do with "feel". To me if I am fishing below the surface film, transmission of feel back through the rod and line are very important to me as this is how I feel "connected" to the fly/flies at the end of the tippet. That rod had the feel. It flexed back into the corks, much like my favourite glass rods do (as Swellcat points out, they are fine sub surface rods).
To me, the ideal is a rod of suitable line weight and length that you feel comfortable with that has a reasonably soft action (ie: bamboo/glass like). Now there are a few (very few when you consider the numbers on the market!) graphite rods I like for sub surface, rods like early Winstons, early Fenwick HMG's and believe it or not, my modern Sage VXP. But I hate the Sage "One".
If it is stiff as a pole and very fast actioned, odds are it is not going to become one of your favourite sub surface rods, can be a great dry fly rod....... but who in their right mind fishes dries on the surface all the time? :P
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Mataura mayfly
 
Posts: 3648
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Southland, South Island, New Zealand.

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby Smuggler » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:36 am

Another close encounter with the "cane kind" :lol: ;). That rod sounds beautiful Jeff. Beware, don't get bit by this bug, it's a bad one!
User avatar
Smuggler
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: NH/VT border

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby Mataura mayfly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Was a beautifully presented rod, well made and finished. The trouble was the weather and river conditions- I carried the rod waterside for a couple of hours but did not catch a fish. Mind you neither did I on the Sage that day.
The "bug" already had a hold on me long before this rod. :lol:
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Mataura mayfly
 
Posts: 3648
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Southland, South Island, New Zealand.

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby Boris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Other day I had the chance to hold/grass cast/carry a PHY Para 15 (wasn't it Boris?). I didn't actually fish it as river conditions were not conducive and I was being ugly with a team of nymphs so used a graphite as the cane rod was not mine and I did not want to goof a cast that lead to bead/hook strikes in the tip section.
But I digress.
To me, that rod would have made an ideal NZ sub surface rod and it was all to do with "feel". To me if I am fishing below the surface film, transmission of feel back through the rod and line are very important to me as this is how I feel "connected" to the fly/flies at the end of the tippet. That rod had the feel. It flexed back into the corks, much like my favourite glass rods do (as Swellcat points out, they are fine sub surface rods).
To me, the ideal is a rod of suitable line weight and length that you feel comfortable with that has a reasonably soft action (ie: bamboo/glass like). Now there are a few (very few when you consider the numbers on the market!) graphite rods I like for sub surface, rods like early Winstons, early Fenwick HMG's and believe it or not, my modern Sage VXP. But I hate the Sage "One".
If it is stiff as a pole and very fast actioned, odds are it is not going to become one of your favourite sub surface rods, can be a great dry fly rod....... but who in their right mind fishes dries on the surface all the time? :P


Actually Jeff, close... it was a PHY Perfectionist modified. As you know the modifications were the spliced ferules and a 3 piece.

But I saw you do just fine in a tight backwater with the Sage VPX graphite....

Image

Image

Handsome fish, pity the angler wasn't... :lol: Great memories.
User avatar
Boris
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 am
Location: Between denial & paranoia in Sydney

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby Boris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Was a beautifully presented rod, well made and finished. The trouble was the weather and river conditions- I carried the rod waterside for a couple of hours but did not catch a fish. Mind you neither did I on the Sage that day.
The "bug" already had a hold on me long before this rod. :lol:


It was a tough day on the milk chocolate river..

Image
Jeff strolling the river.
User avatar
Boris
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 am
Location: Between denial & paranoia in Sydney

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby letumgo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Boris - Thanks for sharing the photos. Your right, that is a handsome fish. ;)
User avatar
letumgo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9108
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby Boris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:11 pm

You're welcome. Such a handsome trout ought to be shown.

Seriously, it was great to visit and fish a little together.
User avatar
Boris
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 am
Location: Between denial & paranoia in Sydney

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby swellcat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 pm

Hmm . . . the picture he usually shows must be from the nineteen hundred and eighties . . . but who cares about looks? Anyone generous enough to spend a not-wee sum sending paradise duck, pukeko feathers, and merkin fur around the world must be a pretty decent fellow.
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
User avatar
swellcat
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:37 pm
Location: Cowtown, Texas, US

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby Boris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 pm

swellcat wrote:Hmm . . . the picture he usually shows must be from the nineteen hundred and eighties . . . but who cares about looks? Anyone generous enough to spend a not-wee sum sending paradise duck, pukeko feathers, and merkin fur around the world must be a pretty decent fellow.


Yes indeed Swellcat. He's a really decent fellow for sure.
User avatar
Boris
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 am
Location: Between denial & paranoia in Sydney

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Postby Mataura mayfly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:32 am

Geez, is this a fishing forum or a soap opera? :lol:
Nothing I do is not reciprocated by the good members here, yourself included swellcat.
And I would not own a beautiful wee modern cane rod if it were not for you Boris, but least you could have done was use the photo without me in it!
There is a story behind said fish- and its mate that was swimming around the same wee backwater- maybe Boris will share it with us?

Well, I may have gotten the model muddled- but I did get the correct original maker. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Mataura mayfly
 
Posts: 3648
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Southland, South Island, New Zealand.

PreviousNext

Return to Fishing Wingless Wets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests