Interesting debate

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fflutterffly

Interesting debate

Post by fflutterffly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:40 am

Below is a link to a very interesting discussion. It's interesting to me at least.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/show ... the-Flymph
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
DNicolson

Re: Interesting debate

Post by DNicolson » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:55 am

Ah yes! I remember it well. There used to be a forum for the Brotherhood (not at all exclusive, even Dr. Rob became a member), a lot of the members have migrated here.
The comments on the 'Cruncher' have reminded me that I am even more of a grumpy old Scotsman. Och weel, that's old age for you. ;)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:10 am

fflutterffly, Howdy;

Thanks for posting the link. Just finished reading it and was struck how familiar certain
opinions are that are held by others … even 6 years later!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:15 am

FAOL wrote:BANNED from BB
I'm continually surprised how many members/posters wear that scarlet designation on that site.
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 am

swellcat, Howdy;

Almost as if that other site doesn't much care for differing opinions or
a slight swell on the water's surface that might add some motion to the boat...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:52 am

hank....."almost"..............rotflmao :lol: :lol: :lol:
i go all the way back to '99 on faol..........i was a host in "the hut" for bout a year and a half round 2000/2001/2002.....eventually got banned as just bout all those who had any opinions that differed with the site owner's opinions, or who weren't hippocrates, or who ever had anything to say about any of the site's sponsers that the site owner did not like...............hence most folks got banned sooner or later. i came back in as "adipose" (w/a clipped fin :lol: ) for bout another year and the site owner had NO Clue........ :P even though all the cool members all knew it was me............that was SOOO funny.
eventually an "alternative" site was set up by another banned member and i think it's still functioning.........i go there very rarely as there's only a very small handful of active members left who do.............funny, the faol site owner has tried to get me to come back a few times.....but there's only so much time in a day for "sites".........
i was the co-host for a few years of the Roscoe FAOL Fish-In which was a cool event.....but our Rendezvous will be even better..........the guy who was in charge of fly tying at faol (Al Campbell) was a very nice guy. He died a few years ago.....i wonder if they ever replaced him with another official guy to take his spot............????? Ronn Lucas.....master cratfsman/artist.....is prolly still in charge of the Salmon fly tying portion of the site.....i haven't looked in a while.....
Ronn is AMAZING..........Misako and i have been to his home in Oregon and spent time with him.....mind blowin' experience....."What-a-guy!" 8-)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 pm

That was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing. That was way before I started tying flies!
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:53 am

I got banned because of an issue I had with one of the sponsers. He sent me product without an invoice. I tried to return it but he wouldn't take it back because of it "probably now had bugs". I tried to give the stuff to the local fly club but they didn't want it either. Sat in a bag in the bottom of excess storage bins. Years later I became a sponser and was imedately shot down by said sponser. I was then put on notice if one more bad thing was said about my business dealings I would be banned. So I try to help a guy sell a product he was developing. He sent me a bunch of stuff, again no invoice, told me to sell it at what the market would bare. It didn't sell . Tried to sell it in my shop but no takers. I still think the product is good and has merit though it may not be exactly my cup of tea.
Long story short he blasts my company as ripoff artists on the aforementioned website bulletin board. I defend my company and explain the situation....for that I'm banned, for life! Funny thing is once the guy puts my name to my company name all is well between him and I. We chatted on the sparsegreymatter site the next day LOL.
Oh well, I hope the FAOL Montana Fishin will still take place at my place. A bunch of real nice people were here last season. Who knows what the future has in store? It's a mystery!
Jim