Caddis Magic and Tiny Mosquitoes

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

Caddis Magic and Tiny Mosquitoes

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:35 am

You probably remember every spring and summer I get small, winged visitors around my dusk to dawn light and this really excites me! Even my immediate family cannot understand my enthusiam for these beauties. While looking out the back door of my house this past Sunday afternoon, a caddis fly landed on the outside pane of glass just about eye level. I watched this insect for quite some time until my card partners called me back to the table to bid (no, not poker, a card game called 500...not rummy the other one!). When I went back to look again at my new friend, he was still there in all of his tan and brown glory. This time I called my daughters beau to the glass and showed him (he flyfishes with me) what all the excitement was about and then the questions started! I welcomed that very much! I recited all that I knew about the life cycle of this fellow and why my boxes are filled with immitations thereof. Josh seemed to be taking it all in and again, I felt good about being able to pass at least some of the info. I had gained thru the years to at least one member of a somewhat captive audience. I thought it was a fitting end to another year of insect watching around my troutless home in the hills of southeast Ohio. And then, the mosquitoes came!
As a general rule, these little blood suckers are not too much of a problem. At times they can be relentless in the persuit of your lifes blood. I have watched mosquitoes hatch from the ponds and even from slack waters around and I am amazed at their delicacy. This reminded me of pattern from long ago from one of Randall Kaufmanns pattern books. The fly is called an "Emergent Mosquito" and it was and still is I presume quite killing even when the sneaky little devils are not around! Very simple to tie and if you choose a striped peacock herl with those great lite and dark barrings along the edges, so much the better! I will try and get some back in production and get them posted soon. It truly fits it's name sake "Emergent Mosquito". Just some thoughts and observations on a rainy, foggy Tues. day off from work!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
kanutripr

Re: Caddis Magic and Tiny Mosquitoes

Post by kanutripr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Good show Doug! What a great way to pass an evening! Wish I was there. :D

Pass on the knowledge and you will be wealthy.

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Dougsden, Howdy;

Didn't think the State of Ohio would allow anyone to play any thing but Eucher.
It IS the State card game ... isn't it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

hank

http://www.pagat.com/euchre/euchre.html

for those of you not aquainted ...
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Doug, we're gonna do a swap..........i GOTTA have one of your Mosquito patterns.............and by the way.........if, the Mayfly Club gig goes down on June 9th (which is the tenative plan), and now that you'll be with us in Roscoe...........your going to meet Bob Mead........the guy does the BEST Mosquito pattern ever developed...........i think his Mosquito sells for $400 or more........i'll ask him to bring one (if he has one finished and not already sold), so you can see it. i once hadda deliver one for him to a tyer at a show some dang place.........and while gettin' it from point A to point B........i was so worried something would happen to it all the way there...........:?.........but it made it into safe hands. You have GOT to see one of Bob's Mosquitos....... ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:53 pm

See what i mean Doug ole' boy. Bob's Mosquitos KILL! Wish you had been there last year (Mayfly Club Day 2010).....Bob stayed overnight at my house in Roscoe the night before.....and we hung out almost alllllllllll night and hardly got any sleep before the gig. Bob is a talker and has stories up the yin yang........he will wear out your ear..........but it's such cool stuff. And i'm allllllllllll ears. :D When i finally woke up.....he was already gone and i knew exactly where........so i just head over to the diner and there he is, on bout his third cup of coffee......... :lol: and talkin' his butt off to one of the waitresses......... ;)
i missed Mayfly Club Day this year..........gonna be great to be back tyin' again with all the cats. i'll be sure to keep on it, so if anything changes, at least ya'll will know ahead of time. 8-)

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 pm

I love my son-inlaws...They are the only people that have to listen to me in my home!
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:14 pm

:lol:

Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi Doug,

Great story and told with so much love and care in it even for the mosquitoes.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl