First steelhead on SH

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

John Dunn

First steelhead on SH

Post by John Dunn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Yesterday I went steelheaden with soft hackles 3/ 23 . I thought way not their like trout.
The tie that worked was.
SH 005.jpg
The fish was a spawned out steelie, what he lacked in beauty he made up for in size, he was a little over 33 inches all fish were released.

John Dunn

"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
Liam

Re: First steelhead on SH

Post by Liam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Congratulations, John! That's terrific. Where were you fishing the fly in the water column? A very nice tie- it's good to see a steelhead caught on such a subtle fly! :mrgreen:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Gorgeous fish, John.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Liam wrote:Congratulations, John! That's terrific. Where were you fishing the fly in the water column? A very nice tie- it's good to see a steelhead caught on such a subtle fly! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the kind words a couple firsts here, the soft Hackle fly of course, and I used the Leisenring lift and the fish almost broke me off when it took.

John Dunn
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 pm

The tension on the lift would make it hard to take the strike of a 33" steely- spawned out or not!