Fishing wingless wets in still water

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wayneb

Fishing wingless wets in still water

Post by wayneb » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi All;

Most fishing references seem to talk about utilyzing these flies in moving water, do they still work well in still waters?

Do you have to change hackle materials to something even softer such as marabou to get the same effect?

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb
wayneb

Re: Fishing wingless wets in still water

Post by wayneb » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Mike;

Thanks!

Oh, by the way their's a big discussion about your disapearence from FAOL. Looks like a lot of people miss you there!

Wayneb
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:48 pm

wayneb wrote:Hi All;

Most fishing references seem to talk about utilyzing these flies in moving water, do they still work well in still waters?

Do you have to change hackle materials to something even softer such as marabou to get the same effect?

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb
Hi Wayneb,

I fish my spiders almost al the time in not moving waters. Sometimes I put a bead in the body to get some depth. The fibers if the soft hackle will move a little bit by pulling your flies very gently trough the water: if the water is not moving you have to move your flies. See also my website, also in english.
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Mike;

I finally found time to look at you links, some real nice ties!

I now see why you don't post at FAOL, can't say that I blame you.

Ruard;

You have a real nice website, again some real nice ties! I was entertained by your story about taking a school book fishing and the teachers response, I would have done the same. Actually I think I did once and ruined a textbook , my father was not pleased.

Wayneb
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:04 pm

WAYNEB,
YES, WINGLESS WETS ARE FANTASTIC ON THE STILL WATERS THAT I FISH. THE MORE SPARING IN THE MATERIALS INCLUDING THE HACKLE, THE BETTER!
IT HAS BEEN RATHER DRY THIS PAST MONTH AND THE WATER HAS BEEN EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAR. 8X CLEAR. I HAVE BEEN "FISHING THE DRIFT" FUELED BY THE WIND WITH SOME SMALLER (SIZE 14-19) FLIES AND TAKING SOME FISH!
BY ALL MEANS, FISH ALL THE WINGLESS WONDERS IN STILL WATERS! IT HAS IT'S REWARDS!
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.