Music

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gingerdun

Re: Music

Post by gingerdun » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Entertaining idea for a post!
There is an astute folk/roots/songwriter/blues, etc station that streams worldwide that I listen to a lot while I tie. It is WUMB out of Univ. of Massachusetts Boston. I happen to be within broadcast range, which is how I discovered it.
Or I just listen to the wind and my elderly cocker spaniel Sam snoring under the bench. That is pretty hard to beat, actually.
RnF

Post by RnF » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:41 pm

gingerdun wrote:Entertaining idea for a post!
There is an astute folk/roots/songwriter/blues, etc station that streams worldwide that I listen to a lot while I tie. It is WUMB out of Univ. of Massachusetts Boston. I happen to be within broadcast range, which is how I discovered it.
Or I just listen to the wind and my elderly cocker spaniel Sam snoring under the bench. That is pretty hard to beat, actually.
Check out "the black keys" radio station on pandora. I love to tie to the bluesy musics as well. It just gets me in a groove.
Scott D
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:04 am

Mike, that is a lot of Trout Quintets, or do you add them up and call it Trout Several Dozen.

I listen to Miles Davis, Woody Herman, Art Tatum, Jazz Messengers, Gerry Mulligan, Coleman Hawkins, Duke, Count Basie, Billie Holiday, Ella, Dave Brubeck, Earl Hines, Stan Getz, Oscar Peterson, Thelonious Monk, Lester Young, Fats Waller and that's only some of the Jazz.

Vaughn-Williams, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Bach, Elgar, Handel (A great favourite), Bruch, Chopin, Albinoni, Ludwig (of course), Finzi, and quite a bit more classical.

And of course Scottish:-
Aly Bain, Phil Cunningham, Bonnie Rideout, Silly Wizard, Fred Morrison (piper), and a lot more.

Oh yes I do like Judy Collins.

Hank, it is said that the Border collie is the most intelligent of all dogs.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:49 am

Donald, Howdy;

Your choises in music is cornocophic in nature reckon that alludes to the depth of
your soul.

One of my brothers has a (Parson), Jack Russell terrier, and when I told him of my new
companion his reply was " those are 'scary smart'. Rascal proves that every time he tries
to ‘think for himself', … he gets into trouble ... :lol: Nothing serious. Yet I feel that he
mutters under his breath quite often...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

Have a good day,

hank & Rascal (woof!)

Last edited by hankaye on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:57 am

DNicolson wrote:Mike, that is a lot of Trout Quintets, or do you add them up and call it Trout Several Dozen.

I listen to Miles Davis, Woody Herman, Art Tatum, Jazz Messengers, Gerry Mulligan, Coleman Hawkins, Duke, Count Basie, Billie Holiday, Ella, Dave Brubeck, Earl Hines, Stan Getz, Oscar Peterson, Thelonious Monk, Lester Young, Fats Waller and that's only some of the Jazz.

Vaughn-Williams, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Bach, Elgar, Handel (A great favourite), Bruch, Chopin, Albinoni, Ludwig (of course), Finzi, and quite a bit more classical.

And of course Scottish:-
Aly Bain, Phil Cunningham, Bonnie Rideout, Silly Wizard, Fred Morrison (piper), and a lot more.

Oh yes I do like Judy Collins.

Hank, it is said that the Border collie is the most intelligent of all dogs.
I listen to all sorts of things, my tastes in music are very eclectic. I like some more than others, and what I like best at any particular time depends on my mood. Most of all I like various folk music.

Here's part of one of my favorites for you, "The Kielder Hunt" ;

http://www.file-upload.net/download-373 ... 0.mp3.html

The two guys on the refrain are a couple of German lads I sing with. That was a live recording in a fairly large venue and unfortunately the first verse was accidentally deleted.

You can find the text here if you need it as I am singing in dialect;

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiKIELDH ... LDHNT.html

TL
MC
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:00 am

Today:

Mary Chapin Carpenter - The Age of Miracles

Tie on 8-)
Hans W
lykos33

Post by lykos33 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Lord o' Mercy, I feel like the odd man out! I generally have the classic oldies rock station on, or I'll fire up the Nickleback...not that I don't enjoy other genres of music on occasion...it's just a rarity :oops:
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:29 pm

If I have my XM radio on I'll listen to either the 40's station or the Nashville station. If I have my CD player on then it's more often than not Punk Rock , with some 70's glam or hard rock. Then there are days that I'll listen to Miles Davis or Dexter Gordon. I came up with the Stimulator listening to the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Clash, Undertones, Rezillos and others. Those were the days of LP records. Just stack up a pile on the record player, wait for them to all play and flp them over and listen to the other side.
Jim
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Completely stuck on the Pixies for the past several days. Strange how that happens every few years. There is an art to finding kid friendly explainations for lyrics that make little to no sense to being with. You would think I would be better at it by now. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com