question: Top 5 flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Bluesdude59

Re: question: Top 5 flies

Post by Bluesdude59 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:12 pm

William Anderson wrote:Blues dude, nice list, and a big welcome. Care to share a recipe or pic of your choices? I'm not familiar with the orange fish hawk and would like to hear about your cahill pattern.
William,
My apologies been slacking on my forum visits!
I wish I could take decent pics to post but am not outfitted to do so yet. So really the cahill though not complex is likely too much description without a pic, but, the fishhawk is a piece of cake:

ORANGE FISHAWK:
#12 mustad limerick is my fav hook for this (and alot of other wets)
Orange floss body, slightly tapered back to front, with a fine gold tinsel rib, I also taper this from back to front, segments closer together then father apart as move up body, but no mor than 5-5 segments and your in.
I tie the body using orange thread, then I switch to black thread for the hackle, which is a badger hen hackle, 2-3 turns, and long enough to extend just past the body.
You can tie in the hackle first flymph style, which will enable you to get a better floss body taper, or tie it in at the end, whatever the pref.
Then finish with a 6/0 black thread head.

Damn thing has always worked for me in the spring for whatever reason. Does a good dropper too. Well, we know the orange factor is huge, and likely represents an emerging caddis, with added gold glitz. Heck even the stockers like it!

Best regards
So much is said in a fly...
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: question: Top 5 flies

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:36 am

No problem, Blues Dude. We're here when you get time to visit. Your mention of the Orange Fish Hawk sparked an interesting conversation and introduced to me to a serious pattern that I was unaware of. Thanks for that.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com