Journals

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Journals

Post by DUBBN » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:06 am

William, as you can probably guess, I always have my camera. Ofcourse I usually take a picture of a fish or two if I am in a position to. By that I mean I am not taking my camera out when I am standing in fast or deep water. I have lost a camera that way.

When I look back on the pictures I have taken over the years, It's not the fish that make me smile. It's the people I have shared the adventure with, the scenery, and sometimes when I am lucky, the big game that I cross paths with.

From now on, I think it would be funner for me to take a few extra moments and keep a detailed of my wading trips aswell as my floating ones.
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:08 pm

I kept a journal for one season shortly after graduating from college. As a newlywed with no children I was free and easy, but at some point my spouse started to question the amount of time I spent fly fishing as opposed to other more domestic duties. I lived (and still do) within close range to some excellent trout water and would have at least 3-4 outings (sometimes 8-10 separate 2-3 hour outing) each week weather permitting. When confronted with my log, there was ample evidence of where I was and what I was doing when I was supposed to be somewhere else doing something different. Long story short, I still got out frequently, but left no paper trail.

That was almost 40 years ago and I do regret giving up the journal (I could have hid it somewhere). I still have the one year's journal and I can remember just about every one of the outings I described, and most of the trout. Of course I remember many of the great days I have had fishing and have learned much, but there are some experiences and lessons learned that I don't often recall. If you are considering a journal, go for it and use your own handwriting and hand drawings of flies, trout, and scenery. Add editorial content and describe your experience. As an empty-nester, I am just a few years from retirement and hope to have a number of good years tying flies and fishing them. I hope to start a journal sometime between now and then.
tgif

Post by tgif » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:34 pm

I do and I love it. It is a great point of reference primarily for flows, flies, fish, weather and notes of the day. I keep my entries short and sweet so it never becomes a burden, but a quick reference point.

Although, I am not sure how important it is, since, as an example, I will never forget the 2 foot brookie that the honey whole gave up to a self designed hendrickson soft hackle in early June. Not sure if I remember it so well, because it broke off at my feet, or if I would remember it better if I had a picture :)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:29 pm

tgif wrote:I do and I love it. It is a great point of reference primarily for flows, flies, fish, weather and notes of the day. I keep my entries short and sweet so it never becomes a burden, but a quick reference point.

Although, I am not sure how important it is, since, as an example, I will never forget the 2 foot brookie that the honey whole gave up to a self designed hendrickson soft hackle in early June. Not sure if I remember it so well, because it broke off at my feet, or if I would remember it better if I had a picture :)
Picture or eye witness accounts from ten people would not tarnish or enhance my memory of a 24 inch Brook Trout. Especially if it broke off at my feet. great post tgif!
tgif

Post by tgif » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:54 pm

I've gotta say, that i remember the ones that got away more than the ones that land in the net. That one in particular was brutal because i had an audience.... he didn't know he was hooked by the time he was within arms reach, but took off when he saw the net, and it was more than the 4x tippet could withstand. That one haunts me, especially because it was on a fly of my own design.... needless to say i have an even dozon of them in my box ready for this season :)
ashley

Post by ashley » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:39 pm

I kept a journal for years carefully recording all my days fishing but always felt there was something needing in a hand written diary like photographs (I was using film cameras at the time) and details of flies which OK for just writing the material list with a fly stuck in the page but these get lost. Then I stopped due to a lack of time.

Jump till Christmas just gone and much thinking over that time, got back from a day Grayling fishing and a thought of starting a new journal (had taken my camera with me). So I now keep a journal of my fishing once again with all the needed details that will handy for the future with pictures. Has an added bonus I also journal my tying. My solution was simple, I write it up as a blog to share with others.