Experimenting With Underwater Fly Photography

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Experimenting With Underwater Fly Photography

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Ray, Everyone,
This is a photo of a nymph pretreated with a fly floatant called Nufly Kote. The photo is from an article published in the June 1991 Field & Stream Magazine, Northeast Edition. The author of the article is Ralph Cutter.

NuflyKote is probably very similar to your stuff, Ray. Mr. Cutter states that this stuff worked best. Mr Cutter also states false casting between casts and treating the fly with a desiccant like Dry Ur Fly, also helps retain the effect on a treated fly. He suggested NOT using paste type floatants. A bow to Mr. Hidy.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Ray I believe a person can use Rain-X, I believe it serves the same purpose as "Hydrostop"

Regards

John Dunn-JAD
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:15 pm

In my earlier posting I wrote clear when meaning clean. I do believe the "cleanness" of the water to be of some significance to the materials capacity to hold bubbles. I wonder if the importance of bubbles is how they make the fly "swim", or if it is how the bubbles look.
dd

should have been " how the bubbles make the fly look"
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 pm

In regard to Rain-X, I have used it for dry flies with natural and dyed materials. If your using a pantone or other permanent marker...lets just say they aren't that permanent. Once they hit the Rain-X the color goes away.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:21 am

Another product designed for dry flies but will waterproof other flies and leaders is Water Shed by Hairline Dubbin. Same deal. Treat it, dry it for 24 hours, then fish it.

Shhh! Guide's secret.-- Frog Fanny. Most people use it to resuscitate CDC dry flies, but try some on a wetted nymph or soft hackle. It traps some bubbles too.