Rubber Soles and Rock Snot.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

gingerdun

Re: Rubber Soles and Rock Snot.

Post by gingerdun » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:39 am

William (and Bill),
I am a little slow to join this string. I love these detailed descriptions of outings, especially the early ones after the long winter. However, let's hope there aren't any more brushes with hypothermia, and comatose phones.

Wading staffs: This got me thinking about wading staffs. I'm too lazy to search the forum to see how this subject has been addressed before. Somewhere I have instructions on how to convert a ski pole for wading, with a rubber foot, and cord that goes over the head and shoulder. I've also seen advertisements for collapsing staffs that fit into a pocket when not needed.

On the Fishing Hat string in member photos there is a photo of Leisenring with his two fishing buddies, including Dick Clark of Clark Spinning Block fame. They all have staffs.

I had a close call on the Deerfield River last summer, after which I vowed to use a staff in the future. When the rocks go from grapefruit-sized to microwave size, rock snot or not, it is dangerous. The Deerfield was only knee-deep, but the surface was so roiled, and the sun reflections so strong, it was impossible to see the rocks clearly even with Polaroid glasses on. I couldn't see where my foot was going. Fortunately it was only my arm that got wet as I reached for a boulder to prevent an Anderson-style dunking.

What is the current forum wisdom regarding staffs?

Lance
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 am

I never leave home without one. The ones I have are all shock cord connected belt holster types. A one hand grab and a shake and you are in business when you feel the gravel being swept out under your feet by the current in a tricky wade. :o Besides they are better than a graphite rod when it comes to snakes. ;)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 am

I wish I had been around sooner, to engage all the feedback. Thanks everyone.

Yes, I took a spill, but did you hear about the one that didn't get away? :D The funny thing is... okay two things.

One, I have never taken my phone with me on the water. I forgot it was in the "water-resistent wind shell" pocket, along with my car keys. Careless...yes. That doesn't usually happen to me. The one time I have the phone with me, dunked. I aired it out, didn't cook it as the t-mobile guy said that might be bad. What's worse than not working? I was due for a new phone anyway. The keys were fine, thank god, they cost as much as the phone. That won't happen to me again...knock on wood. I'll take some measure to carry a camera, but waterproof it. (yes...I had two ziplock bags in my vest, would have saved me a lot of heartache if I had realized my phone was on me.)

Two, the wind-shell jacket was just treated with Revivex, which is amazing if you haven't tried it. Works wonders if you're getting rained on, not so much for swimming. It managed to keep all the layers beneath nice and soggy. That's not the jacket's fault however. I'm not sure why I was so cavalier this day, wearing the pants waders rather than the bib style. It's been a long time since I've fallen over.

Three, the new boots are great, on all the surfaces not covered in rock snot. I have the cleats mounted correctly, but the misstep I took didn't allow for any recovery. Actually, it happened so fast I'm not sure I can blame it on the boots. Either poor/careless waiding, or an ongoing issue with balance and dizziness. (don't breath a word of that to Gab, she will flip out if she knew I was having more balance issues and went out anyway...she's good like that, but Roscoe would be off. :twisted: ) I'll just say the boots didn't help.

The staff. I have never carried a staff or a net, but I spent so much time on smaller water, neither really played a factor. I try to travel light, but I should probably give this some consideration. I'll read with interest if the conversation goes that way. I'm all ears. Maybe it will save someone else a dunking or the cost of a new phone.

thanks.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Lonewolve

Post by Lonewolve » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:06 pm

William,
just got a pair of Simms Riversheds with the Vibram soles an a pack of Hardbite star cleats, Had to go to size#14's with the sock system an the Redington sonic Pro Zips my old reliable studded felt Weinbrenner/Borger boots were squinchin my toes.Not so with these new Riversheds..In the past i had picked up a pair of the older Simms Guide boots with studded aquastealth soles an they were very nice but they squinched in my older waders.
Ill have to update when i get in the water later this week.
As for wading staffs, i have a collapsable folsatff an it is always on my wading belt it works when needed. Remember one thing: There are Old waders, and Bold Waders, but there aren't many if any OLD BOLD WADERS. Being safe just the way to be when you are in the outdoors, commonsense should never be replaced by egotism.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Rick, I look forward to hearing your review of your new boots. I'll probably have a lot more confidence in mine...once I'm wading with more caution.

I've been checking around for a staff. I hadn't really considered carrying one, but I'm not 35 anymore... :D .

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:56 pm

First things first; regarding wading staff - better safe than sorry. Travelling light at the expense of a staff might eventually mean not travelling at all any more. I've seen that happen. A folding staff is not cumbersome to carry. I have modified a cheap ABU/Garcia one with a rubber ferrule http://www.seniortoo.com/uk/outdoors/ca ... 20-mm.html. Works like charm and makes the contact with rocks silent and safe. I know of people drowning in low water from a fall with a blow to the head. Easier to buy a new phone than a new life.

Mark is not the only member equipped with a beautiful glass rod. Well done William - again! I bet there are several members on another forum envying you. I have a reel-seat just like that on a glass rod. The builder has wound a strip of synthetic leather on it, providing firm seating of the reel. Not ugly at all, and very practical.

My first outing this season is almost two months further down the road...

dd