Great Morning

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Great Morning

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:03 pm

michaelgmcgraw wrote:Great fishing post Dubbn, glad you got out! I have a high school sports charter in the morning,gonna be spit'n distance from one of my favorite little creeks. Have to stay near the bus. . . :(
So.... take the bus to the creeks! :lol:

Nice report Dubbin, half your luck at a day off to do the same.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:08 am

letumgo wrote:Wayne - I coulda told you that purple sucks. It's lavender that you shoulda used. Trust me, lavender is much better than stinking purple.
:lol: :lol:
I am going to make purple work even if I have to paint a stick of dynamite :twisted: :twisted:
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:52 am

I did have an agenda yesterday.......About a week or so ago I watched an outdoor show on the tube. On the show, the guide was taking most of his fish pictures in macro setting. Extreme close ups. Some of the pictures only showed a fin in the water, or just part of the tail. One picture showed just the lateral line of the fish just above the water line. With its belly and the white net in the background (submerged). I really enjoyed his pics, so, I am trying to take extreme close ups. Yesterday was my first attempt. I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on how big the fish were, or ask if my thumbs had gained some weight. :lol:

I fish alone alot of the time. Even when floating with my buddy. We each have our own rafts, and often get seperated. This can make photographing a fish difficult at times. Especially a larger fish. In the past I would slap that fish on dry rocks and snap away with my camera. I am going to refrain from that going forward.

Little fish are easy to photograph by myself. Larger fish can be tough. If I dont have a perfect little pool to resuscitate and photograph the larger fish then I will refrain from taking a pic at all.

Yesterday I caught a very thick hen. She was heavy with eggs, but not yet spawning. I netted her, then tryed to decide the best way to take her picture. She kept curling in my net, making a decent picture impossible. It is hard for me to gauge time in these instances, but if I had to guess, I bet I took 30 seconds trying to find a spot to take her picture. She was submerged in my net the whole time, and in fact,resuscitated herself. She had given me her all in a wonderful battle. The least I could do was turn her loose without looking for the "perfect" picture. I do know that most of my future pics of larger fish will have to come from my buddy. It's tough to find that perfect little pool.

I dont have any self imposed guidlines for taking pics, but sometimes you just know when the fish should be released without a picture being taken. ;)

So, get ready for some weird close ups this Summer as I develop my "STYLE" of photography. :lol:
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:36 am

DUBBIN, Howdy;

Naw, didn't think your thumbs had gotten pudgy ...
they always looked a tad like sausages :) .
Also, I'd just thought you were trying to make a smaller fish look bigger,
kind of like the Christmas ball effect. (jokeing)

Actualy, You got your pix dialed in durned fast ... they're lookin' good.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:23 am

Wayne, you are one lucky dog! What a beautiful area!

I know what you mean about taking pics. I usually don't bother bringing a net to the little places I head to and if there is any manhandling or the fish is going to be out of the water too long while I fumble with my camera I usually just don't bother. They are much too pretty to harm. They may be all special but it's not like any of them are trophies. :lol:

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 am

Thank you so much Ray......I can only imagine being that good with a camera.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.