The Color Purple

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

overmywaders

The Color Purple

Post by overmywaders » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:19 am

No, it was a great movie and Whoopie was superb; however, I am writing about the color purple as found in the Snipe and Purple.

Purple (P) is like Orange (O) in one way - it is the only other color that has no rhyming words in modern English usage (don't start with "hirple"). Otherwise, P is utterly different. P is not a color in the visible spectrum of light. Huh?!

Here is the visible spectrum:

You will note that the colors that are visible to most adult humans (children can see into the ultraviolet, as can those who have the lenses of their eyes removed in cataract surgery) range from the Red to Violet. We use the acronym ROYGBIV to remember them - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. No purple. We consider Orange a distinct color, but in reality it is a merging of Red and Yellow just as Yellow is a merging of Red and Green. In some light physics, the three primary colors of light - Red, Green, and Blue - are used exclusively, since all other colors may be considered derivative. [Yellow has a specific range of frequencies/wavelengths, but when a yellow wavelength strikes the cones of the retina, it will be accepted by both Green and Red cones - we have no Yellow cones, just Red, Green, and Blue. Each of these adjacent cones will pass up the intensity of their respective R and G and the brain will say "Yellow". Smart brain!]

So, Purple is not shown on the spectrum. That is because it is the join of R and B light, which are not adjacent on the spectrum. R and B actually cancel each other out, in a sense. In my days of theatre lighting, we could allow someone to disappear from a scene by overlapping R and B spotlights on the stage. The actor could walk from the R into the point of overlap with B and not be readily seen in the darkness (Purple). Using light to make darkness, weird!

Now to P and water. Because P is R + B [HTML defines Purple as R -128, G - 0, B - 128] and R is the first wavelength lost to depth of water and B lasts quite deep, P will appear as Blue in deeper water (without factoring in UV). However, in shallow water or close to the trout, P will be fully P. On cloudy days, or milky water, the P will stand out well as a very dark object against the ambient backdrop.

When we say Purple we are usually considering the Snipe and Purple. Try as I might, I couldn't find any two ties of the Snipe and Purple that used the same body color. Some used a dark, almost black, Purple, others a Royal Blue - the range was endless. For convenience sake, let us assume that the body is truly dark P. Why would dark Purple or dark Blue at depth, attract fish? Because the iridescence bodies of some species of blow-flies, beetles, nymphs, etc. are Purple. The Blue Bottle fly is found worldwide - Image

Image [Notice how hairy some bugs are? Think peacock herl.]

Now, I am not saying that the trout mistake a Snipe and Purple for a Blue Bottle Fly, but the coloration of both is similar and the Blue Bottle is common everywhere. Obviously, the insect is chubbier, but if the trout only sees a flash of color, that may be enough.

From a UV perspective, the remarks made about the Partridge and Peacock apply here as well. The snipe will dependably reflect a lot of UV (assuming it is a natural product, not dyed), the dark purple will, generally (dye is a consideration), reflect little, - but depth may also play a factor because the UV won't have any cancellation by Red at depth, so the result may be the body appearing lighter in the UV in deep water.
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
DUBBN

Re: The Color Purple

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 am

What rhymes with Silver?
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Dubbin,

Right, good catch, I forgot Silver. Although, in terms of the "color" silver that you and I might mean, e.g., silver tinsel; that is not a true color because it cannot be created simply by additive colors. To make the shiny color silver, requires specular reflection (mirror-like) otherwise you only have the color grey (HTML R:192, G:192, B:192) that is designated "silver". True colors are based upon diffuse reflection only.

But that is quibbling, I was wrong - there are three colors with no matching rhymes. :D

Regards,
Reed
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Reed,
Now, a small question regarding the Blue Bottle and other similar flies which have an iridescence. Does this quality affect the UV light being reflected?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:53 pm

overmywaders wrote:Dubbin,

Right, good catch, I forgot Silver. Although, in terms of the "color" silver that you and I might mean, e.g., silver tinsel; that is not a true color because it cannot be created simply by additive colors. To make the shiny color silver, requires specular reflection (mirror-like) otherwise you only have the color grey (HTML R:192, G:192, B:192) that is designated "silver". True colors are based upon diffuse reflection only.

But that is quibbling, I was wrong - there are three colors with no matching rhymes. :D

Regards,
Reed
So you're telling me I need to throw the Silver Crayolas away? You're killing me Reed! ;-)
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Mark,

Regarding iridescence and UV. I have not seen any formal studies on the subject but all my photography of iridescent insects and feathers in the UV indicate that those objects, without exception (yet), have a very low UV reflectance.

Regards,
Reed
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Dubbn,

Hang on to your Silver Crayolas. Who knows, maybe a "Flesh" colored Crayola will be worth a fortune someday?

Regards,
Reed
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Howdy All;

All of this scienctific 'stuff' is neat and interesting, however, I find the it gives
me a headach trying to keep up with all the science 'stuff'. Like the Police Chief
in "Alice's Restraunt" ... had all the 8X10 glossys with the arrows and captions, etc.....

I don't think many of us fish the depths beyond a few feet. Not all water is
'Gin clear' that water that is generally has something else in it to bounce a light
beam off of. So, if all of the science 'stuff' will help craft a better fly ........
Please say so in simple terms. Like use Orange because, over many years it is a proven color
as is Yellow, Black so on and so forth.

I believe that man can make things a whole bunch more complicated then it needs be
...... Keeping it simple generally works very well for either 50.00001% or 49.00009% I forget
which ....... and I have absolutely no facts to back it up wiff.... just as J.L. Gibbs is fond
of saying; "I have a feeling in my gut."

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
overmywaders

Post by overmywaders » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:28 am

Hank,

I'll keep it simple. Purple works. Purple is a proven color among bass fishermen for plastic worms, purple is used in steelhead and sea trout flies.

As an attractor pattern: Purple works for trout when the water is milky, cloudy, murky, or just plain ol' turbid. It works then because it is easily seen against the background. Purple works for trout when it is dark, same reason as above.

As an imitator: Deep Purple works in imitations of beetles, anytime. Some flies have Purple tones to their bodies - like the ubiquitous Blue Bottle. Some minnow species have Purple lateral stripes - a streamer with white saddles over Purple floss body, ribbed with silver (Mylar not real silver) is a killer fly.

Much of the black found in nature is not true black. [Factoid: Black human hair - the most common color - will often have blue or red undertones to the hair.] Substituting deep purple for black in some fly patterns might make for an interesting experiment. Testing a Partridge and Black against a Partridge and Purple might be worthwhile.

Regards,
Reed
-------------
Reed F. Curry
Overmywaders
The Contemplative Angler
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:39 am

overmywaders wrote:Hank,

I'll keep it simple. Purple works. Purple is a proven color among bass fishermen for plastic worms, purple is used in steelhead and sea trout flies.

As an attractor pattern: Purple works for trout when the water is milky, cloudy, murky, or just plain ol' turbid. It works then because it is easily seen against the background. Purple works for trout when it is dark, same reason as above.

As an imitator: Deep Purple works in imitations of beetles, anytime. Some flies have Purple tones to their bodies - like the ubiquitous Blue Bottle. Some minnow species have Purple lateral stripes - a streamer with white saddles over Purple floss body, ribbed with silver (Mylar not real silver) is a killer fly.

Much of the black found in nature is not true black. [Factoid: Black human hair - the most common color - will often have blue or red undertones to the hair.] Substituting deep purple for black in some fly patterns might make for an interesting experiment. Testing a Partridge and Black against a Partridge and Purple might be worthwhile.

Regards,
Reed
Mmmm,
Interesting,
Right I am off to retie by Stewarts ~Black (ahem Purple).