Drought

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Drought

Post by DUBBN » Thu May 24, 2012 4:54 am

Ray, like I said, the fishing as of late has been really good. Still, the Peacock and Partridge , and Muskrat have outshined other patterns seven ways to Sunday. The Gold rib on the P/P was my buddys idea, but it does seem to out produce the original (this week).

Hank, I will try to send you a couple pics if I manage a few fish. Good luck with that surgery. I will be thinking about you.
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Thu May 24, 2012 5:40 am

Have a great surgery Hank. Gitcher paw all better! :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 am

Hank - I wish you the best with your surgery on Friday. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Be nice to the nurses. :twisted: ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu May 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Heal up quick, Hank!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Fri May 25, 2012 10:09 am

hankaye wrote:Dubbin, Howdy;

Post up a bunch of pix.... This Fri. I get my right elbow and wrist operated on.

Let the vicarious fishing begin!!!

hank
Well Hank you are just going to have to learn to cast with your left hand!

Speedy recovery my man!

:D

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Howdy Alltisk;;

Thanks for all the well wishes. :)
Had the surgery Fri. Morning at 8:00 am. Was on the ward by 10:30am. 8-)

They cut me loose this morning about 11:00 am. Awkward driving with one arm tied down
Picked-up Rascal, I'd dropped himoff at a kennel for the 2 nights. He thinks of it as 'Puppy
Prison'. He's happy, won't let me out of sight for now..... Kids these days (tisk,tisk).

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 am

and the opposite of drought is....

It seems like it has rained every single day for a month, cold polar winds regular and relentless. My local river is on a hyrdo scheme which usually works in our favour, steady flows etc... When it goes wrong , it goes really wrong, relentless high water. Such is the case at the moment 32 cubic metres per second and releases have been every eight hours, and each release 8 hours long - work that one out - 32cubic meteres per second , 24 hours a day.

Looked at the website yesterday , last release 5pm the previous day .... no release till five yesterday, off course I was working on the usual 4 hours runs and was rightly peeeeeed off when i arrived to the river at 9:30 AM to find it in flood. A few phone calls and I discovered that they were doing 8 hour runs .... grrrgh, flood would not be off until 11 / 12.
What the hell, I was not about to go to work instead so kitted up and headed downstream ,sat and waited.

That weed midstream was barely visible when I arrived, but as levels dropped the water pressure no longer kept it submerged and was the first indication that levels were dropping.

Usually only a foot or two of water when wading to the midstream island, dipped the rod, 4 foot deep. Just to the left there is a fence that extends into the river forming a rectangle, allows cattle accesss to take a drink. You can just about make out one of the posts, this was my indicator and all too slowly the levels dropped revealing more of the post.

At 11:30 I finally took the plunge and hopped in, the water off course was freezing, straight from the depths of the resevoir.

Big well weighted hares ear with a small partridge hackle on the point, weighted caddis pupa on middle and a large klinkhammer on top. Hooked quite a few trout as I waded accross to the island, all small, some tiny. As well as dealing with the high water I had very strong downstream breeze to contend with. Fished until 5pm, did not catch a single trout over 9", seen two trout rise all day and they were to the klink. Considered fishing a lure on some more sluggish water where the trout were more liely to be but its far from a preferred method and so I abandoned that idea.

Trout rely very much on feeding patterns but these floods means they cannot get into a rhythmn, bad for them and bad for us.

As disheartening as this is for anglers it is very serious for the well being of the trout who should be feasting on BWO's and caddis - they simply cannot get feeding properly and will lose condition very quickly if these floods continue. The last time these floods took place this time of the year by september the trout were in very poor condition. :oops:
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 am

What's that old saying ... "It never rains but it pours"? It's a shame about your fishery being flooded out, Otter, and too bad that you can't share some of that extra water with folks who need it.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:22 am

Sorry to hear it's tough going in your area. Nice that you could get out, even to appreciate the difficulty of the situation. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:35 am

William Anderson wrote:Sorry to hear it's tough going in your area. Nice that you could get out, even to appreciate the difficulty of the situation. :D

Sitting wating for a flood to go or sitting at the desk , hmmm , tough choice :)

Was nearly a disaster for two other anglers that I know, they did the sensible thing and fished above the flood water a mile below the resevoir. unfortunately some idiot opened the valve at twelve believing they were still doing the 12 oclocker. They had to scramble out of the river as it rose quickly around them, scary sh.t, happened to me once, 30 mins of inching back up 50 yards of torrent, I thought I was heading for the hereafter.
tie2fish wrote:What's that old saying ... "It never rains but it pours"? It's a shame about your fishery being flooded out, Otter, and too bad that you can't share some of that extra water with folks who need it.
Bill, come and take as much as you want,,,,, please.