Drought

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Drought

Post by DUBBN » Wed May 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Not alot of people want to admit it, but we (Western Colorado) are in a drought. My fear is, runoff has come and gone with hardly a cleansing flush to the streams and rivers. This is nothing new to the area. Droughts have been a way of life here in the desert. It's the reason reservoirs are built. Well, hydroelectric power may have something to do with it as well.

I have heard some rumblings. What will the rivers do? What will be hatching? Will the mayflies and stones be affected? My answers....The rivers will be lower and warmer. Everything will hatch, but not in the numbers you expect. The Mayflies and Stones will be affected but not so bad as to hurt the ecosystem from year to year.

Theres one bug that most (in my neck of the woods)forget to mention. My buddy the Caddis. It will hatch. It will be the primary hatch if my memory serves me well. In drought years of the past it was the caddis that saved the day. They seem to be more tolerant of slower, lower, warmer flows.

I started stocking my Summer fly box with Caddis in mind......

Oh yeah, the Midge tubing with the Krystalflash or wire core? They are gonna work as well. :-)
JohnP

Re: Drought

Post by JohnP » Wed May 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Lookin' good, Wayne. :)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed May 09, 2012 8:25 pm

DUBBIN, Howdy;

Nice lookin' collections...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Thu May 10, 2012 4:25 am

Yep, I think you're pretty well covered for the Caddis hatches 8-)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu May 10, 2012 6:04 am

In low water years does anybody elses fly patterns, tactics change? Like I said the Baetis, PMD's and other Mayflys will still hatch, but I am expecting fewer numbers.

Later in the Summer the water temperature will probably get warmer than normal. If this happens I will quit fishing those waters completely. The stress on caught fish is just too much (in my opinion).
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 am

Wayne, we have enjoyed a few weeks of average or below average temps and plenty of rain in this area. Not enough to offset heat and lack of parcipitation in Feb, but it should make some difference. Summer is still going to be a problem and like you, I'm afraid most of the water will be off limits to avoid stressing the wild populations.

At any rate, I'd be expecting big things with that box of flies, low water or not. Great sets.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu May 10, 2012 8:26 am

William, here in the west river levels depend almost exclusively on Winter snow pack. Sad for us, we did not have much of a Winter. My fly box resembles more of what it looks like for late Summer, early Fall than what it should look like for late Spring early Summer (post runoff).

I carry a flybox around my neck at all times when fishing. It contains the patterns I believe (guessing) will be the most productive for the season. It's an inexpensive Flambeau fly-box.

On the right side of the fly box is where I carry my tiny patterns. Size 18 thru 24. These are midge and baetis nymph/emergers. WD40's, 50's, Pheasant Tails,Barr Emergers, RS2's etc. There is probably 200 flys in just one small magnetized compartment.

I have a couple weeks to completely revamp this box. My daughter and soninlaw are winging their way to Cabo Sanlucas as I type, to participate in a friends wedding. My wife and I are watching our 12 year old Grandaughter, a 22 month old Grandson, and an 8 month old Grandaughter for a week. That means soccer practice this week, and games on Saturday.

If I have to miss out on fishing,and burn vacation days I dont mind if my grandkids are involved! ;)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed May 23, 2012 6:28 pm

The fishing in my neck of the woods has been off the charts to say the least.I am heading out again this weekend and needed to stock up on these. Peacock and Partridge with a Hot Yellow rib. That and a Muskrat have produced.

Sorry about the fly quality. Havent really cared to tye for the camera lately.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed May 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Terrific fly, Wayne. I love the look of the hot yellow rib, set against the plump herl body. Beautiful proportions/taper.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed May 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Dubbin, Howdy;

Post up a bunch of pix.... This Fri. I get my right elbow and wrist operated on.

Let the vicarious fishing begin!!!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin