Fishing Wingless Wets, Without Felt ....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

John L

Re: Fishing Wingless Wets, Without Felt ....

Post by John L » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 pm

William, I'd say you have helped. Good pictures. Although I think the soles on your boots are only late variety Vibram rubber, which I think is not near as sticky on mossy rocks as felt, the studs may be the best or near best for the job. Because you are happy with the studs in the pattern you showed makes me think I will try exactly your pattern in one of my boots, but with the screws I have been using - and post what I think.

Of course you will only be getting my opinion for what it is worth, and it is free ...
John L

Post by John L » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:49 pm

William, free opinion time: having put three sessions of about three hours each on one boot with your pattern of studs vs the other boot with my pattern studs, I'd say your pattern is as good or better. But wait! I did the last mossy rock session with the backmost heel stud of your pattern removed, and didn't miss it. This moving studs around may be getting addicting - maybe better cut back - maybe you all shouldn't start. No marijuana neither.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:59 pm

John, I for one appreciate the trouble you are going to here. It was a sad day when felt was banned here nation wide because of Didymo bought in on somebodies un-cleaned fishing gear. :twisted:
Nobody knows exactly who or how, but it is here and felt is banned to try and stop the transmission from waterway to waterway.
I have tried various boot/stud combinations, none as good as the real thing. My latest Korker boots with swap-out soles are not too bad with the studded soles, but forget the plain soles..... deadly!

Best non-felt boots I had were a pair of Trezeta hiking boots from Italy, great support and they had ice spikes in the heel like mini crampons that wound up and down with a key when needed. Being a leather tramping/hiking boot they did not like the damp life of a wading boot though.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
John L

Post by John L » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Mataura, yes, it is just not as good with rubber.

And, no need to thank me too much - I am retired, you know.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:10 pm

John, I think were stuck with rubber soles for the sports future and its great that you're out there working out the finer points for us all. Maybe as a result we all just become more careful and slow down a bit which won't hurt. Slipping in rock snot does though, so I know we will all keep following your progress. Its the most exhaustive testing for patterns I've seen anywhere. Now for a wading stick. I really should.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:48 am

Just saw this while browsing. May be of interest;

>> i was told to avoid all cheap studs as they are soft , do not last long and are useless.

That's nonsense. Tungsten carbide studs are harder than most and ordinary screws are not tipped with tungsten carbide because there is no point in it. But they are still hard. Also, some softer studs actually grip better.

The "wader studs" shown here are merely coarse threaded washer head screws usually hex head;

http://www.evolutionfasteners.co.uk/Pro ... ight-steel

https://www.google.com/search?q=tek+scr ... 80&bih=734

More or less any ironmonger, DIY shop, etc should have them or similar. If you find they are wearing down just replace them.

Depending on what you are screwing them into, a smear of araldite or similar epoxy before screwing them in will make them more secure. The same applies for replacing screw studs in the same hole.

Before you put studs in your boots make sure to choose the right stud pattern;

http://waderstuds.com/files/Placement%2 ... 0Guide.pdf

http://www.flyfishusa.com/apparel/stud-service.html

This will give you better grip in various conditions, and the studs also last longer.

Random placement and random numbers of studs can cause you severe problems, actually resulting in less traction than you would have without them. It can be quite a trial to find optimum placement. An excellent alternative I have found is this;

http://good-jiahao.com.tw/www/e-product ... zAodbmUARQ

I got a few of these at my local supermarket very cheaply. They work very well. There are lots on offer at various places, you need to look around. The main advantage is of course that you can remove or replace them easily according to conditions.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... now+cleats
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:08 am

I have a few of these, but these look like the ones I normally use on rock;

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www. ... tabilicers

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www. ... tabilicers
John L

Post by John L » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:05 am

By others' replies I see we have plenty of stud options for rubber soles that are slippery without. Some of the options are cheap and available at local stores. On the other hand, for people who can try everything and take the best, like the father and son who own my local fly shop, best may be the $200 + Patagonia boots with the aluminum bars.

I have not tried those Patagonias but, based on what I tried, I still agree with my first post that said I didn't like the feel of studs on rocks, even though the studs improved traction.

I have now gone back to felt. Colorado doesn't ban it. The security and feel under foot is the best. Mostly I fish one river, and when I go to others I will gladly put out the effort to clean the boots between them.

I hope that boot makers will someday sell an easier-to-clean alternative to felt that matches the advertising hype.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Greetings, I'm new here and wondered where I'd place my first post.

When I worked I hung around with engineers too long but I have a business background. There's been some talk about outlawing felts in WA state so when I was getting new waders I also got new boots. I couldn't find the Simms studs anywhere but did notice the price (business background). The part that hung around the engineers too long got me to go to the local metal store and buy about 80 little sheet metal screws. Couldn't figure out where the best spots on the boot bottoms were and I didn't want to slip so I put one in every little spot. (OC part of me). I got the 80 sheet metal screws for $2-$3 and on the one trip I was out they grabbed better than my old felt boots.

Ron Eagle Elk pointed me to this forum.

Bill W
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 pm

zen leecher, Howdy;
zen leecher wrote:Greetings, I'm new here and wondered where I'd place my first post.
Ron Eagle Elk pointed me to this forum.

Bill W
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the post, lots of new folks don't and we don't really
get a chance to say Howdy to them.
Your post is fitting where it's at (imo), don't forget to checkout the referenc section and the
other neat listings that are available as a forum member. Don't be shy, post often.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin