10' Rods

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: 10' Rods

Post by tie2fish » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:50 am

Davy ~ There's a procedure for adjusting your computer to match the actual date/time, but I can't remember how the sequence goes. Perhaps Mark (Soft Hackle) will be good enough to post the routine again?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Orange_Caddis

Post by Orange_Caddis » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:43 pm

The procedure is:
1) Click "User Control Panel" (underneath the forum logo)
2) Click "Board Preferences" tab
3) The last drop down menu is the time/date format options

I was wondering about this for a long time and eventually started searching, the default display format makes little sense.

I hope this helps.

Orange Caddis
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:43 am

Orange_Caddis wrote:The procedure is:
1) Click "User Control Panel" (underneath the forum logo)
2) Click "Board Preferences" tab
3) The last drop down menu is the time/date format options

I was wondering about this for a long time and eventually started searching, the default display format makes little sense.

I hope this helps.

Orange Caddis
See also this topic: http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... p?f=8&t=76

And this one: http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=8&t=320

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:23 pm

I bought the Grey's Streamflex 10ft 4 wt too. I've never fished a long rod before this. A 9'er was the longest, but its a whole other thing as far as moving line and mending. It's kind of hypnotic, and I plan on wetting some line this weekend. Finally. I need the therapy of standing in the river.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:04 pm

i fish a 10 ft 4 wt dan craft on the south holston, primarily swinging soft hackle flies and for beetle fishing and cannot say enough positive comments concerning this rod. it truly makes a day of mending and casting a joy.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:14 pm

William Anderson wrote:I bought the Grey's Streamflex 10ft 4 wt too. I've never fished a long rod before this. A 9'er was the longest, but its a whole other thing as far as moving line and mending. It's kind of hypnotic, and I plan on wetting some line this weekend. Finally. I need the therapy of standing in the river.

w
I need a 10' 4wt for competition fishing. I fished a 10' 3wt Gloomis in the Canadian Nationals this year, and while it was a joy to use it cost me a number of fish due to being a fraction too soft in the butt section. I had access to a 5wt 10' RPL but I let my heart get the better of my head and I fished the 3wt.

How are you finding the "lifting power" versus sensitivity with the Streamflex, William? I can punch out all the line I need with a 3wt so distance isn't really key here.

newriverspey: Which Dancraft blank are you using?

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 am

aaron,
i have the five rivers FT1005-4 and i really like this rod a lot. the line i am using is wf rio gold. take care. otto
5feathers

Post by 5feathers » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:53 pm

I've fished both the Dan Craft 10-footer and the Grey Stream Flex 5 wt. 10-footer and they are excellent rods. I forgot to mention that I was nymphing and swinging wet flies on the dropper and both rods were plenty quick enough with the hook set. Unfortunately, I can't comment on how they cast dry flies.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 am

I got a chance to fish both my 10 foot 4 wgts while in Idaho. The Global Dorber 10' 4 wgt is a great rod. Fit and finish is excellent. It throws a cast of wet flies well, mends like a dream, and has plenty of backbone to land a 19" Westslope Cutthroat. The Snowbee Diamond rod is also a great rod. Fit and finish is also excellent. It handled a three fly cast of wee wets very nicely, also mends very nicely and has a bit more backbone than the Global Dorber rod. It is also a bit faster than the Global Dorber rod.

The main difference for me is the length of the rod tubes. The Global Dorber rod is a 2 piece making the rod tube a bit tough to pack in a small car, while to Snowbee is a three piece rod, with a much more managable rod tube.

Both rods are worth every penny I paid for them. My wife prefers the Global Dorber, so I get the Snowbee. Sounds reasonable to me.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wetfly1

Post by wetfly1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Winston will have a BIIX 10 footer available in spring '10 I hear. Can't wait!! Tried and sold my Grey's 10'4wt... still looking for the "holy grail" 10 footer, maybe Winston can help. :D