Which Two?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Which Two?

Post by paparex » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Which two soft hackles do you like to fish in tandem? Or, if you had to choose, which 2 soft hackles fished in tandem is most effective for you? Yesterday it was hare's ear and Partridge and Orange. Last September it was Partridge and Red and a drowned grasshopper.

Question: if you tie a San Juan worm and add a wrapped partridge feather a la Delekta, is it a soft hackle or just a dressed up worm?
DUBBN

Re: Which Two?

Post by DUBBN » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:43 pm

From now till the first frost these will be my go to patterns. Here in Colorado we are allowed to fish three flys at once. This is the order I put them on.
1. Muskrat

2. Olive Soft Hackle

3. Orange Muskrat

After a few fish and tangles I will remove one pattern. The trout will let me know which pattern gets removed for the day. I may put on a PT Flymph, or Hares Ear, but I usually forget as these three normally get the job done for me.

"Question: if you tie a San Juan worm and add a wrapped partridge feather a la Delekta, is it a soft hackle or just a dressed up worm?"

As long as it's legal, it's anything you want it to be. ;)
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm

I usually pick up fish on PT soft hackles, Peacock & Partridge and Olive softies, tbh. The "Trifecta" if you will.

Two nights ago I was fishing the White fly hatch on the Yellow Breeches here in PA and got into two very nice trout on my white fly softie, the one I tied for the upcoming swap. 15" and 19" very healthy browns in the C&R section. Taking a half day tomorrow to do it again!
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Howdy All;

2 flys on a line..... :shock: .... crap I have
a hard enough time tossin 1 out and away from me... :roll: :?

hank

PS. "Question: if you tie a San Juan worm and add a wrapped partridge feather a la Delekta, is it a soft hackle or just a dressed up worm?"

If it's a Friday Night and the Fleet's in Port,, she be a floosy...
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
gig

Post by gig » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:47 pm

I fish tandem rigs all the time , dry fly on top and beaded nymph, nymphs top and dropper, nymph and wet but for some reason I have never thought of tadem soft hackles. I will have to give that a go next time, when the season opens in October :)
Life is good, why waste it.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:08 pm

paparex wrote:Which two soft hackles do you like to fish in tandem?
Which two insects are on the water or emerging? ;)
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Must admit I don't often team two softhackles, usually it is just the one and it is cast (often badly :roll: ) to individual sighted fish.
But if I do "team up" it is usually only two flies with the trailing fly tied off the bend of the front fly with a short section of tippet. It's a Kiwi method, don't know if it is any better than leader droppers, but it does negate tangles a bit when you cast like a demented whip flogger :D .
Ofen one of the flies in a tandem team will be weighted with a lead wrapped body or a bead. Sometimes it will be the trailing one, other times the front fly. It's main purpose is to get the other fly to the depth I want.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:10 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Must admit I don't often team two softhackles, usually it is just the one and it is cast (often badly :roll: ) to individual sighted fish.
But if I do "team up" it is usually only two flies with the trailing fly tied off the bend of the front fly with a short section of tippet. It's a Kiwi method, don't know if it is any better than leader droppers, but it does negate tangles a bit when you cast like a demented whip flogger :D .
Ofen one of the flies in a tandem team will be weighted with a lead wrapped body or a bead. Sometimes it will be the trailing one, other times the front fly. It's main purpose is to get the other fly to the depth I want.

I tie all three in tandem. It's not the casting that causes my tangles. It's those dinky Browns in the 8 inch range. Holy Smoke do they shake rattle and roll! Have one of them on the top fly and I am gauranteed to have a birds nest by the time I release it.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I really wanted to try and offer a helpful response to this, but usually start with a single fly, usually one of my most recent ties, then add another smaller recent you're off the bend based on insect activity. Then if things don't pan out after an honest effort, I start looking for one of my go to patterns. It's a good question. Sorry for the less than useful input.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
mkmury

Post by mkmury » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:21 pm

The answer to this for me will change at least from year to year, but more often from month to month or season to season. I haven't fished much this year so my go to fly this year has been a hares ear nymph with a furnace or brown soft hackle collar in tandem with a tan or olive caddis like soft hackle. The hares ear has caught me more fish this year than in the last seven years for some unknown reason but I'm not gonna question it, I'm just gonna keep fishing it.