Ideal Flymph Rig

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Davesnothereman

Ideal Flymph Rig

Post by Davesnothereman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a new member and was curious what the ideal wingless wets setup is in most folks' opinion. Is it necessarily a longer-is-better kind of game? And is 4 the go-to line weight? And lastly, how about action? Is slow to medium more desireable? I'm new to the whole concept and am curious what kind of tackle will yield me best results- that is if tackle choice is really that important. Currently I have an 8'4"wt (med), an 8' 4wt (med-fast), an 8'8" 5wt (med fast), and a 9' 5wt (fast). Do you all think any of those are optimal rods? The truth be told, I'm always looking for excuses to buy more flyfishing stuff! :lol: Thanks!
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Ideal Flymph Rig

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi,
I am positive you will receive much information about this subject, and in my opinion, the answers you will get will be just that-opinions. Everyone has their favorite rig. I will say a few things, here that are my opinion.

You can use almost any weight line as long as it's matched with the rod, of course. People like lighter weights, but a 4, 5, or 6 weight is fine. Use the longest rod you dare for the place you will fish. This gives you more line control by having less line on the water. I feel medium action rods are best for fishing wingless wets, but it is getting more and more difficult to find a good medium action rod- or so it seems. Most rods are fast, nowadays. I really don't like them. They're too stiff for me.

For the most part, a floating line does the job, and under certain conditions (faster deeper water) I like a sinking line, or at least a sink tip to help get the fly down deeper, if that's what you want to do.

Leaders are a preference as well. I use my own hand-tied leaders using Maxima leader material. I've had no complaints about it. You can rig your leaders for fishing more than one fly, or just a good straight tapered leader for one fly at the point. Generally, I use a 9' leader, but increase the length as the water gets clearer and lower. I have used a 15' leader on some occasions.

I'm sure you will hear more from others, but what I've said here, would give anyone a good start at rigging up for fishing these flies.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 am

Excellent summary Mark . . . simply because I agree with you on just about all points. :-) Differences? I prefer a knotless tapered leader terminating in an overly (by most people's judgments) long tippet of close to 4 feet, making a 12 to 13 foot leader over all. Knotless because I am usually fishing water that has a lot of weed, and knots are weed magnets. My favorite setup is a 4-weight, 8' bamboo rod. I rarely fish more than one fly, but if I do it'll likely be a dry-and-dropper combo.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:23 am

I was stated, but I prefer a furled leader. This winter I got a 10ft rod and like it for sub-surface fishing. If I could find an 11 footer that was light enough I would consider getting that. You know the next best seam is just over there a little. :D
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:01 am

Hi, again,
Eric, a lot of the fly fishermen that enjoy a softer rod are going to bamboo. Unfortunately, I can't afford one, but I imagine they are wonderful for fishing these flies. The next option would be fiberglass, which works just fine. I don't understand the fascination with FAST rods. They may be okay for dry flies, the wet fly man has few options nowadays, unless they go with one of the two options OR have a rod made or make one yourself. Even then blanks of moderate action are getting hard to find.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 pm

I agree Mark. The plastic rods that I still fish occasionally are all what passes for "moderate" action today -- not easy to find. I classify rods as either "casting" rods or "fishing" rods. I like the "fishing" rods. They have to be able to protect a 6X tippet with a big wild fish on the other end, as well as respond to a wide variety of casting techniques, ranging from pure distance to air mends, stop casts, puddle casts and a lot of stuff that I don't have names for but seem to have to use in the course of a day. Too many of the new and popular rods fall into the "casting" rod category; IMO good or chucking a long straight line, but not quite as good at all the other stuff I want a rod to do.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 am

I have been fishing either a 8'6" 3wt or an 8'4" 5wt, both of which are fantastic rods with nice presentation and action for dries. The they both will toss streamers if they are not heavily weighted. I have been fishing wingless wets very much in the manner that I would a dry, target casting and dead drift for the most part. But for a year or more I have been working lots of other wet fly techniques and even a cast of flies, but I can tell you the rods are just too short to be effective in keeping line off the water, or making the kind of mends necessary to be effective with the wet flies. My rods were primarily used for medium to smallish streams and usually under lots of tight cover, so the shorter length was important. Now I find myself wishing I had a 10' rod to be effective. Medium to slow action with a softer tip, but nows not the time for a rod purchase, so I'll make due. As early season turns to late spring and summer, I'll definitely go with a rod that suits my previous methods and can switch from dries to wets in a single pool, but in the early season when most all fishing takes place well below the surface, I really wish I had a long rod. It would also make it more practical to use longer leaders. Its tough to cast a 12' leader with an 8'4" rod.

That's not to say you can't modify to techniques to get a result that works. :D Last weekend was quite productive on the Yellow Breeches.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Lanyard Stretcher

Post by Lanyard Stretcher » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:35 pm

I guess I'm retro, my favorite wet fly rod these days is a 70s era Fenwick FF806, 8 ft. 6wt. I overload it with an 8 wt. bass bug line wich casts like a skagit line. Double spey, single spey, snap T casts are really easy with this rig. I like the soft action of glass :P .

Mike
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:24 am

Soft-hackle wrote:Hi, again,
Eric, a lot of the fly fishermen that enjoy a softer rod are going to bamboo.

Mark
That's true, and I fish one regularly, but the problem with cane is that a 9' rod is heavy, especially if you're making frequent, short casts as in upstream, North Country style. In fact, I fished a 7' bamboo rod on Sunday in that manner and my shoulder still hurts.

For a slower action rod, at a reasonable affordable price, check out Grey's Streamflex series. They're light, slower action and available in lengths to 10'.
Bob
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:56 am

...I prefer a knotless tapered leader terminating in an overly (by most people's judgments) long tippet of close to 4 feet, making a 12 to 13 foot leader over all....

Heh, Often down here up to 6 - 7 - 8 foot tippets (total length up to 18 feet) particularly on big assed wary back country browns 8-)