hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fflutterffly

hackles

Post by fflutterffly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 pm

If you could only have one type of hackle feather which one would you pick. Just one! Don't get greedy. Here is why I'm asking. I'm going to begin re-building my supply from the unfortunate "Moth" murder of my feathers, so I have to pick my poison very carefully, which hackles to spend my money on. Thank you for playing. A
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
chase creek

Re: hackles

Post by chase creek » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:56 pm

I think first I would have to choose Hen. It's available in many colors, it's inexpensive, and readily available. Next would be Partridge, natural grey/brown. Starling would be on my list, although good skins seem to be a little hard to come up with. (maybe I'm too picky?)

Oops! :oops: Just re-read your post. OK, then - Just one. I'd go for the hen.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Gee, that's an open question. Just one cape, one type of cape, one colour of cape??

If restricted to one cape only it would be what I refer to as a "henny-cock" Greenwell's neck cape. Gives good colours and some of the feathers to be found on such a cape are good enough for dry flies, others are just right for webby soft hackle. They are better than some of the Indian capes, but not as good as generic hen capes from the big name suppliers.

If we are allowed colour variations then my choice would be the same type, just in as many colour variations as I can find/afford. :lol:

Failing that, if looking to replenish stocks for tying "on the cheap" I would search the internet for poultry show breeders in my area and either go visit them or email and see what they do will their cull birds or if I could come collect some of the moulted feathers at the correct time of year.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Ring-necked pheasant skin. 4 to 8 different types/patterns of feathers (windowpane, speckled, dark list, etc), about as many different colors of feather.... And it's gorgeous!

Kirk

(I'd want a partridge skin, too.)
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:36 pm

That's tough.. it would definitely be something mottled like grizzly or a variant. Pheasant is tough to beat just because the vast array of colors and availability. As is hen due to it being inexpensive.

I'd probably pick grizzly hen and dye it accordingly, just me.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Speckled hen cape. Covers sizes 24-8.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 am

Brown hen hackle for me . It's so darn versatile.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am

I would start with Partridge, add a Blue Dun hen cape and then buy Hen in colors that I like as I find them. If you like some of the classics add a Starling. It is really more about the bugs you imitate than our preferences! ;) I like fishing a local PED hatch so I like a speckled Yellow hen patch.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 am

Only one? Seriously? ;) Well, if I were limited to just one, it would be a complete skin from a mature male Hungarian partridge.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:04 pm

My first choice would be a #1 grade Hungarian Partridge skin. One of the best investments I've made in tying materials.

If you live near a shop that carries them, take them out of the package and look them over. The next one I buy is going to have brown markings on it. I received some feathers from Carl Sanders (Old hat), which had beautiful brown banding. They make a beautiful fly.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean