Christmas eve on the river

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Christmas eve on the river

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Great wee essay Wayne, posted at a time when many of us would not have had thoughts of fishing. But, "Dang!" did that cap freeze to your head after the dunking? :shock:
Some fine looking trouts that fell victim to some fine looking flies.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote: But, "Dang!" did that cap freeze to your head after the dunking? :shock:
I was thinking the same thing.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Sheeeeesh! It's a Notre Dame hat. It protects at all times! :roll:

Truth? It was knocked off that rock in the picture when the fish flopped. I was having so much fun, I didn't even mind.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Man Wayne, those fish are just gorgeous... look at that adipose fin on that browine! Thanks for sharing that one. :mrgreen:
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:05 pm

DUBBN wrote:Sheeeeesh! It's a Notre Dame hat. It protects at all times! :roll:

Truth? It was knocked off that rock in the picture when the fish flopped. I was having so much fun, I didn't even mind.
And here was me thinking that trout was doing you a favour by trying to send said hat bobbing downstream as payment for disrupting his Christmas Eve! :lol: :P
No if it were an "All Black's" cap, it would brush away all that challenged it....... until you went fishing on one English stream at the end of the season, then it might stumble and you may end up skunked for the day.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:14 am

Jeff,

If you wear an "All Blacks" cap astream, do you do a Maori Haka before making the first cast? Just curious.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:Jeff,

If you wear an "All Blacks" cap astream, do you do a Maori Haka before making the first cast? Just curious.
Indeed, Ron, some may! But I feel it better to earn the right to perform such challenges before attempting and botching it up. Would be better to use the Ka Mate version rather than Kapa-o-pango as the throat cutting actions of the latter may be deemed un-PC on catch ahd release waters!
The Haka is a challenge to a fight/competition as well as a mark of respect to a foe, so it would be appropriate to perform one before commencing fishing for the day. :D
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments folks. They are very much appreciated.

I was planning on fishing the Gunnison on New Years Eve, but I did not realize that is not a paid Holiday. So, I will work. I had already promised my wife to clean the garage tomorrow. That was when I thought I had Monday off. So, I have been demoted to being my wifes lacky tomorrow. No fishing! :(

Thats ok. She gave me Simms G4's for Christmas. ;)
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:29 pm

DUBBN wrote:Thanks for all the kind comments folks. They are very much appreciated.

I was planning on fishing the Gunnison on New Years Eve, but I did not realize that is not a paid Holiday. So, I will work. I had already promised my wife to clean the garage tomorrow. That was when I thought I had Monday off. So, I have been demoted to being my wifes lacky tomorrow. No fishing! :(

Thats ok. She gave me Simms G4's for Christmas. ;)
Sheez, and that is after you spending your vacation cleaning the house! I feel for you buddy. :P
Must point this post out to Kim, G4's would be nice to find under the tree. Mind you I did get a cool new rod tube and custom wooden fly box. :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Wayne - Your not going to stink up this pair of G4, like you did your last waders, are you? Remember, keep track of any hard boiled eggs you bring. ;)

(yeah, I remember that story. What are friends for?) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean