Goto soft hackle patterns for trout

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mike Connor

Re: Goto soft hackle patterns for trout

Post by Mike Connor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 am

Otter wrote:I have some "GOTO" flies, I need a small number more. The Goto ones are ones that I know to work quite well in particular circumstances and thats when they are used - everything else is a work in progress.
Yes, I thought about that, an excellent point in fact, in that sense all flies that one has chosen for various reasons and situations can be deemed "go-to" flies, in that case all my flies are "go-to" flies, but the expression is a fairly standard one in some circles and really means something else entirely. Basically it means a fly or a couple of flies that will more or less always work and chosen for that reason. That is how a lot of people understand it anyway. Indeed, an argument could be made that a woolly bugger is such a fly, it is very effective indeed in many situations.

Once again a terminology problem really, how does one define a "go-to" fly? The current understanding of many is that it the fly one chooses to use more or less all the time in the hope that it is indeed universal. That is indeed the case with a woolly bugger for many, but is much harder to apply to any particular small soft hackle because there is no single small soft hackle which is as universally effective as a woolly bugger.

The approaches are different.

Taken as read, a ""go-to" fly could mean any fly that suits the current purpose and situation, but there is no single soft hackle that will do this, there are too many factors involved. Surprisingly difficult to formulate the problem at all.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 am

Mike you mention the woollybugger, I doubt I could catch a trout with it even if it had a stick of dynamite tied to it...lol.... and yet some fishermen swear by it. With regards to the soft hackle flies, I merely wanted to get a few patterns that you folks had success with. As to when to fish them that is up to me and my particular approach to fly fishing. I am amazed at how some guys know all the hatches by name and even the sub-species of them. They most likely are far more successful than I am but I truly doubt they have any more fun than I do.
Part of my quest for successful soft hackle patterns is also when and where to use them. The Wooly Worm I mentioned is used by me as a searching pattern when no hatches are visible, much like I did on the Middle River. It may be due to my ignorance of soft hackle flies and how to use them that attempting to fish them as a searching pattern is laughable to many. Well, most of my success has come from trial and error, but in my old age, I am trying to keep the trial period shorter with fewer errors...lol.
I tied up some Hare's ear soft hackle, partridge and orange as well as a couple of other patterns from guys around here. Maybe you and some other kind souls will educate me in the right time to use them and the correct approach. The nice thing about trout fishing is that I am still learning even after all these years. Thank you again for your help and the patience of everyone to my odd questions.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:12 am

Surprising that, I have often got people started by using a woollybugger. Rarely fails in my experience.

I could name lots of patterns (as could many others here) but they only work well if you fish them properly and in the right conditions . You will find a lot of info in various places on how to fish them, but it is a pretty huge subject.

You may find this of interest;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16756.0

Trying to give a condensed version of wet fly fishing in a single post here that would be useful to you is beyond my talents I'm afraid.The possibilities are infinite.
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Well Tim, I have thought and thought about this but I can't come up with anything that would be of much use to you.I have spent more than half a century studying these things. There are no "magic bullets" or "go-to" flies as such. Many flies can indeed be versatile but you have to know which ones and how and when to use them. There is no way around that. So, with regard to my own personal philosophy at least, there are no "go-to" flies which will guarantee success. You have to put the time in learning how to use what and when. Your obvious experience should at least help in that respect, but there are no quick ways to do it. My only suggestion would be for you to carry on with the woolly worm as it obviously works for you, and try at least a part of each angling session to use some soft hackles and see what happens.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 am

Tim, first and most importantly, welcome - a hardy welcome. I hope you'll spend some time mining the various threads and ask every question to comes to mind. There are a lot of very astute members, of varying degrees of experience and a wonderful variety of ideas, who are very happy to share and offer thoughtful information. Myself, I find the subject of soft-hackles pleasantly ambiguous and enjoy exploring the subject from lots of angles. I'm glad you're here and hope to play some part in your own efforts to make soft-hackles part of your fishing experience.

I actually like your question because it does allow for a kind of mixed bag of responses. I have a couple of "go-to" flies and they are at once entomologically specific (ask Ray about his first couple trout Sunday) and equally generic to be considered only "food-like". I find the versatility of these flies (none in particular, but all included) to be second to none.

You asked specifically if any of us had something to offer in terms of a suggestion. I believe what your were asking is for any individual preferences in terms of patterns that you might try. I tie a Hare and Partridge pattern in several shades, on several hook types and in various proportions. I call this my "go to" and it worked exactly as it should on some picky browns on a gin clear spring creek this weekend. This particular fly was a #18 with a sparse hare body, more gray than brown, and a sparse partridge also more gray and modestly marked. Depending on the water (and all the conditions you would normally list), I fish a Hare and Partridge with a lot of confidence from a #12 to a #18 from a dark spectrumized spikey body to the more subtle pattern described above. I think of it as a kind of prototype which is adjusted for very specific use as conditions and hatches require. Then of course add a very light flymph with speckled hen and a Black Gnat pattern and that rounds out my "go-to" set. (Along with some wire bodies soft-hackles with game feathers, many herl bodied soft-hackles and an assortment of spiders. That should cover it.) :D :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am

Welcome to one of the best website, filled with the greatest people, a place to learn, share and join in a few fly swaps. Glad to have ya!

There are many here with great years of experience with wet flies, but I am not one of them. My learning began a few years ago and since that time I always carry a competent supply of wets in their own small box. On a recent trip to the Lower Owens river in California while roll casting to sipping browns I found myself nestled among the high reeds as the sun dropped behind the Sierra Nevada. Noses poking out of the blue surrounded by larger rings from backs and fin cutting the water I had little luck. After a few unfruitful tosses of dries I opened my 'special box' of wets, pulled out a black on black size 18 and begged for a take. It came with a flash of fin over and over again. All I can add to this discussion is this: My fly box is filled with black, tan and brown wet flies ranging in sizes that compliment my waters. I have yet to find a better fly for fishing in the meniscus.

Sidebar: I have also put the wets as my second fly on a double dropper where the seem to illicit strikes in water not more than five feet deep. My belief is that the fish see both the dropper nymph, as the bottom insect and the wet as that form beginning it's rise. I might be wrong, but I am only human trying hard to understand what this alien species see in their world.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:51 pm

[quote="fflutterffly"]. On a recent trip to the Lower Owens river in California while roll casting to sipping browns I found myself nestled among the high reeds as the sun dropped behind the Sierra Nevada. Noses poking out of the blue surrounded by larger rings from backs and fin cutting the water I had little luck. After a few unfruitful tosses of dries I opened my 'special box' of wets, pulled out a black on black size 18 and begged for a take. It came with a flash of fin over and over again. All I can add to this discussion is this: My fly box is filled with black, tan and brown wet flies ranging in sizes that compliment my waters. I have yet to find a better fly for fishing in the meniscus.
[Unquote]

What a lovely word picture. Thank you.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Tim,
I would like to try to accommodate you with an answer, however, before I begin, there’s a few things I must say.

First, this response is not an intention to rebut anyone else's responses. I can’t and the reason is simple. Responses like this are based on experiences and the knowledge that has been gained through them. Anyone’s theories or ideas are spot-on accurate in every way. For me, however, they may not be, and for you as well, they may not be. The only way to tell is by testing them.

It is my belief that fly fishermen are formed as much by how and where they fish as anything. Their ideas and beliefs come from the fish they fish to and the flies, methods they use. This includes other anglers that assist them on their way. My experiences are different from everyone else, so while we would probably agree on some things, on others we would not.

So, for me, the term “go-to” fly means a fly which could work well in any given situation and probably be quite generic making it more versatile in its appeal. It can also be fished in a variety of ways which will also make it more versatile. It is my true belief that beginning fly fisherman concentrate too much on pattern selection. They should select a versatile/generic fly and try it out using different techniques.

As already mentioned, technique can be a very important factor in taking fish. SO, familiarization with various techniques will most definitely be helpful, BUT I would not discourage anyone from giving it a try because, your tests could reveal something important to you, which you can add to your experience file.

Here’s some generic flies I like:
Leisenring Spider---http://libstudio.com/FS&S/html/leisenring_spider.html
Red Hackle---http://libstudio.com/FS&S/html/red_hackle.html
Gray Hackle---http://libstudio.com/FS&S/html/gray_hackle.html

I hope this is helpful, and WELCOME to our forum.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Tim,
In The Art of Tying the Wet Fly & Fishing the Flymph, Jim Leisenring gave his 12 favorite flies—which is another way of saying that they were his "Go to" flies. They are suggestive of both aquatic and terrestrial insects.
Leisenring said that when all else failed, he'd go to the Brown Hakcle, Iron Blue Nymph, Tup's Nymph, and the Hare's Ear with or without wings.
The recipes are all in ATWF. This set, tied by Jim Leisenring late in his life, belongs to a collector who kindly gave me permission to photograph them.

Lance

gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Here are three general-purpose, "Go-to" flymphs tied by Pete Hidy. Very simple flies.
  • Light Blue Dun
    Iron Blue Dun
    Honey Dun
    (wire rib has tarnished)
Lance