Are Wingless Wets Versatile?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Are Wingless Wets Versatile?

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Here's one well-known Fisherman/Writer who thinks so. This well written and informative article is one I thought I'd merely share here for general information. I find, in my experience, Mr. Tapply to be be pretty much on the mark. You may not entirely agree with Tapply, but the article IS informative and interesting.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... /part1.php

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Are Wingless Wets Versatile?

Post by William Anderson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Mark, I have a couple of Tapply's books and find him well versed and straight forward. I remember this article, but it's fresh to me today re reading it. As an overview, with a nice economy of words he covers the subject very well. There is much to elaborate on, but not much to improve in this brief article. Thanks for posting this. I'll share an experience from this weekend when I sign on later.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mike Connor

Post by Mike Connor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:34 pm

It's a pretty good article as far as it goes. But there is no mention of "go-to" flies or anything like that. Collectively, various soft hackles are indeed extremely versatile but you have to choose and fish them properly. ( he gives some excellent descriptions of usage there). You could set up a small collection of generic flymphs and such which would work in many cases when chosen and fished appropriately. But for somebody who has never done it this is not an easy matter. The great thing about woolly worms and woolly buggers is that there is really no way to fish them wrongly, they will work fairly well no matter how you fish them and even better if you fish them well. The same does not apply to soft hackles, or at least not to the same degree. They work on different principles, although some flymphs may be similar to some extent. There are very many factors and imponderables involved. I know of no way to teach somebody even a small part of what is involved very quickly. Indeed, I don't think it is possible at all. Just mentioning a few fly patterns is not going to help much.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Soft-hackle, Howdy;

Mark, it's good to see you posting.
A very nice article, timely in it's arrival here on the board.
I may have read it before somewhere, it felt familur as I read it.
dub-ya was right in that it is a compact work what with so much
information packed into a short article such as it is.
Thanks for posting it. I'll have to re-read it several times to gather
the fullest extent of information from it.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 pm

I miss that guy. His story at the back of American Angler about the "last trip" he took with his father had me in tears.

I miss his father, too. I grew up with Tap's Tips.
Bob
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 am

Thanks, Mark. Very good overview, printed it out for my "reference notebook".

Bob - glad you mentioned that. Tap's Tips was the first thing I turned to in the magazine, even before I started fly fishing. Also read the "Last Trip" piece - got a pretty good lump in my throat after reading that.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 am

Mark,
Thank you so much for bringing this article to our attention. I am looking forward to reading more by Mr. Tapply.

Lance