Li'L Dorothy Variations

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Li'L Dorothy Variations

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:OK, I'm outvoted.... you know I am going to have to go tie some with longer thorax fibres now........ :evil: :lol:
I am possibly contradicting myself anyhow, as the wool yarn I am using for abdomens on this pattern has small trailing fibres of a translucent nature that may give a tail impression when swept back by current action. :)

I think the tail debate has a lot to do with water conditions and where the fly is fished. If it is rough and turbulent the trout may only have a very short period of time to decide "food or flotsam". In slower and calmer waters a more "perfect" imitation may be required.
I have watched trout feeding in fast water and it is a very busy hustle of take-decide-swallow or eject, they literally snap up everything that is around the correct size and colour, deciding after the taste and texture test if it is a food item or not.
We received a fair amount of snow fall this week. I hope its enough to get some faster flows this Spring. I will keep a closer eye on the "tail debate" if we do. ;)

Yeah, we have both over thought the "tails". :lol:
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Never mind, I am sure we have a resident expert that can fill the post with information of tails versus no tails and put us straight so we have to think no more. ;)

My own take on my we experiment was to tie as close as I could to original, without actually having the materials at hand that Mark ties his from. That is why I left any tail off. In saying that, this is about the only Mayfly pattern I tie that does not have some form of tail or shuck like material, despite my observations of both nymph and dun naturals that have lost tail filament during their hazardous life.

Your ties are good honest takes on Marks wonderful wee fly, with your own slight variations- but recognisable as Lil' Dorothy's. I am sure Mark is pleased you are tying them and will get a kick out of seeing the results when the snow melts and you get the chance to do his pattern proud.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Wayne - I just saw your post showing the three hen capes. Excellent find! I have several hen skins I bought from Jim a while back. They have been really nice to work with. In fact, I like them better than some of the genetic skins I own. The hackle is softer (more movement), producing more lively flies. These inexpensive hen skins are an excellent hackle material. You've found some very desirable colors.

Lovely flies. I look forward to hearing of your "field trials".
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Welcome back Ray. Glad you came home safe and sound. I have been enjoying the cheap little hen capes. I must say though, after using one feather on one fly, it's a treat to use the genetic hackle aswell. They all have a place in my supplies. ;)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:12 pm

I have a couple genetic hen capes that have very stiff hackle barbs. They behave similar to dry fly hackle. They make nice hackle for faster water, but I like softer webby fibers for most of my wingless wets. Then again, if I was forced to limit my choices to only a few, I would depend heavily on game birds (partridge, starling, grouse).

Sorry for the diversion. I think your hen capes are perfect for these flies.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:53 pm

I hope Wayne won't mind if I piggy-back a few of my Little Dorothy variations onto his post.

Clicking on the image should take you to the album.
Thanks for looking.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 pm

John - I enjoy seeing all five variations of the pattern. Nicely photographed, too. Thank you for sharing.

Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm

John, nice yarn body- very similar to the patterns I have been tying.
That is a really nice wee group of variations in the album, great work.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:56 pm

John P, Howdy;

It appears you've made a lightbox and some large advances in skills.

Nice set of flys and pix.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:45 am

Your photography is getting pretty dang good John.
Great ties as always.