great day fishing spiders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: great day fishing spiders

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun May 12, 2013 1:13 am

taylor16 wrote:Wow. Didn't expect the thread to turn into this. Not exactly what I wanted to see...
Taylor, mate, nothing bitter- we are all still friends, just us discussing pro's & con's and not a direct attack on your post.
Sometimes we get a little side tracked on the origin of some posts and forget the direction, all done with now and we are back to following the path. :D

Boris is correct in one point, riffles can be prolific holders of aquatic life and at certain times fish gather there to feast- which (as you discovered) is also a great time to be using spider and soft hackle presentations, especially if you can see no specific rise and the fish are taking swimming emergers.
I for one would like to hear more of your trip, the types of patterns you were using and how you were fishing them.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 12, 2013 6:13 am

Mataura mayfly wrote:I for one would like to hear more of your trip, the types of patterns you were using and how you were fishing them.

Me too! Even if you end up throwing Streamers or Dry's, I like hearing how you did it!
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun May 12, 2013 10:05 am

taylor16, Howdy;
taylor16 wrote:Wow. Didn't expect the thread to turn into this. Not exactly what I wanted to see...
As Jeff said 98% of these end up doing an 'auto-reset', and everything gets back on track. Bestest danged Forum
around (IMHO), :D

Now to answering some of the questions ..... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon May 13, 2013 2:50 am

I read an article by Phillip Weigall - an Australian fly fishing journalist - a long time ago that had an influence on my fishing. In the article he made the statement that fish in riffles are generally more catchable than fish in pools on account of their intention to feed in that part of the river. I've never forgotten that bit of fishing wisdom.

Sorry Taylor, I didn't mean to detract from your thread earlier.