great day fishing spiders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: great day fishing spiders

Post by DUBBN » Sat May 11, 2013 10:29 am

[quote="Boris"]what do they say Jeff...... "no photo no fish" :D quote]

I have been taking pictures for 30 years. I suppose I am still a newbie at it. I usually take a picture of the first fish of the trip, and then mybe 1 in 10 fish if there is something special about it, For me, the moment is prolonged forever if a picture is taken. For me, the moment is enhanced.

I have never worried if another person takes pictures or doesnt. I dont buy anyone elses fishing licenses so it is none of my business what they do. That being said, I really enjoy seeing the fish , water, and countryside from around the globe that people on this forum post.
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sat May 11, 2013 11:17 am

I took it more as gentle ribbing than an attempt to belittle. Hence the :D
I do enjoy the posts by DUBBN and others where they include photos of fish and surroundings. It makes the virtual trip more entertaining, certainly, and usually, particularly on this forum, you can see where the fish is either in or near the water or in a rubber-mesh net when its photograph is taken. I rarely remember to bring a camera when I go fishing, and I am generally too clumsy to handle my rod, a fish and a camera all at the same time. So in the unlikely event that I ever actually catch a fish, don't be surprised if there is no photo. :)
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Ya know I find myself agreeing with Bob's comments so often it's almost disturbing. Now if I could just get myself convinced that fishing a wet fly upstream is more productive than down stream. ;)

Regards, Jerry
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat May 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Don't worry- I was not asking for photos to prove or disprove anyone's success or stories, it is just to me stuck over here on our little Island nation, everywhere the rest of you fish and the fish you catch are different and therefore very interesting to me.
Photos do not have to be of fish, the how you got there and what the water/ plant life/ other creatures looks like are just as much fun to me. I have only spent a matter of days in the States, in one small area and although I did visit one of the more well known angling clubs- I have never fished there so your stories and photographs give me the virtual experience.
"No photo- no fish" I do not agree with, heck it is only in the last year or two I have carried a camera with me and then it is more for sharing with you guys than personal record. :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat May 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Don't worry- I was not asking for photos to prove or disprove anyone's success or stories, it is just to me stuck over here on our little Island nation, everywhere the rest of you fish and the fish you catch are different and therefore very interesting to me.
Photos do not have to be of fish, the how you got there and what the water/ plant life/ other creatures looks like are just as much fun to me. I have only spent a matter of days in the States, in one small area and although I did visit one of the more well known angling clubs- I have never fished there so your stories and photographs give me the virtual experience.
"No photo- no fish" I do not agree with, heck it is only in the last year or two I have carried a camera with me and then it is more for sharing with you guys than personal record. :D
I have shoe boxes filled with pictures of fish and fishing trips. Some how my children ended up in a lot of the pictures. From the time they were in diapers till their children were in diapers. For me, the camera has captured my passions. My children and fly fishing. Many friends have come in to and out of my life. They too are chronicled in the photographs. When I look through those boxes of old photos I never have a frown on my face. I always have time to capture the moment. Thats what the pictures are for...Me.
Boris

Post by Boris » Sat May 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Relax fellas, it was my poor attempt at humour. :roll: Thanks John P, you understood my intent.

I really appreciate seeing photos taken by others of water, fish, insects, etc.

Now that some of you have mentioned it, I too make conscious choices not to photograph. Sometimes photographing can get in the way of the fishing experience, especially when fishing alone.

Cheers
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat May 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Boris wrote:Relax fellas, it was my poor attempt at humour. :roll: Thanks John P, you understood my intent.

I really appreciate seeing photos taken by others of water, fish, insects, etc.

Now that some of you have mentioned it, I too make conscious choices not to photograph. Sometimes photographing can get in the way of the fishing experience, especially when fishing alone.

Cheers
Boris -

My remarks were not directed at you, per se. It's just that I've seen those words on one forum or another, almost daily for several years now, and I've noticed that when directed at a first time poster, they seem to have discouraged that person from posting again. Thankfully not so much on this forum, and never phrased like some forums that I read: "There's no way you could ever catch that many fish in stream X; you're a lying sack of ****; no photos or it didn't happen". Needless to say, I don't post much on those forums.

I truly appreciate those of you that take the time to create a photo shoot of their trips. But I guess I'm trying to say, it's still ok to post even without photographic evidence.
Bob
Boris

Post by Boris » Sat May 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks Bob.

Yes, some forums are not fit to visit, they can soil even the casual visitor!
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat May 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Glad that got hashed out...For a few hours I felt like I needed a shower. I felt like I was better off soiling my self than posting a picture.
taylor16

Post by taylor16 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:28 am

Wow. Didn't expect the thread to turn into this. Not exactly what I wanted to see...