Birdnest Variation

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Birdnest Variation

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Great variations Wayne. I love them. I really like the one with the black thorax. This pattern lends well to a lot of creative angles.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:44 am

DUBBN wrote:These are complete variations of the pattern that has taken the board by storm as of late. In fact, they are probably considered a Sub species!

I used Wood Duck dyed Mallard, actual Wood Duck, and Green Winged Teal for the collars. Natural Hares Ear, Black Hares Ear, and natural ostrich in a variety of combinations for the bodies.

The waters I will be fishing tomorrow are high and very stained. If there is 12 inches visibility I will be lucky. Therefore, I want the patterns a little darker than the original. These patterns are tied on a size 14 Mustad 9671 hook. They will be the trailing flies behind some large Stone nymphs and Caddis emergers in sizes 10 through 6.

Hope Cal does not roll over in his grave.

:shock: Holy Crap. I'm loving these. Nicely done and a beautiful take on the Birdsnest. Well done.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am

Wayne - I have never seen a version tyed with an ostrich herl thorax. I am very interested to hear how these fish. My initial impression is, the ostrich herl is an improvement. My only concern would be the durability of the herl. If the herl has been reinforced, then I suspect you will be happy with the results. Beautiful.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:02 am

Interesting patterns and in my neck of the woods the caddis are just beginning to show. Everytime I see your patterns Wayne I wish I was on a river and not at work !!!
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:44 am

I wish I could have given a glowing report on these from the last trip, but sadly, these patterns did not perform well for me. I am going to give them another shot tomorrow.

The ostrich is not reinforced. I cant think of a time on any pattern that I have tied that I ever reinforced ostrich. I do on Peacock, but thats about all. I have never had an issue with ostrich coming apart from trout. Now, if I am forced to use hemostats to remove a fly, all bets are off. :)

Thanks for the kind comments folks!