St. Joe River

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

JohnP

Re: St. Joe River

Post by JohnP » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm

They are sweet rods. I have used a cheap graphite composite rod off and on, but I always go back to the Fenwick. ;)
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:27 pm

John, this is a great report. My son and I are planning either a St Joe or NF Coeur d'Alene trip in mid July when my daughter takes off for camp. We are really looking forward to it. Just the two of us. I will have to show him your pics. Thanks for posting and thanks for the report.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Carl. I hope you and your son have a good time. There are a number of really nice campgrounds on the St. Joe. My experience with that river is that it tends to have good numbers of smaller fish, with the occasional really nice trout. The Lochsa, which I have also fished a lot, seems to produce fewer, but larger fish, at least for me. I haven't fished the north fork of the Coeur d'Alene, so I can't comment on it, but I am sure wherever you go, you will have a great time. :)
I would have taken more pictures of the river and the countryside on my way out, but it started raining really hard right after I broke down my gear and got in the car. Good timing on my part. ;)
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:26 pm

John,
Absolutely drop dead gorgeous water framed in awesomely beautiful country. I cannot imagine even being allowed to go to such beautiful places. You did a great job in photographing this place as well! Can you do this about once a week to keep all of our batteries charged up?
Looking forward to it....!!!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks Doug! I wish I could get up there every week, but it is about a 160-mile drive, one-way, from my house. Made for rather a long day in the car, but it was worth it. :)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 am

Hi John,

I fished the St. Joe a number of times over the course of my MT/ID visits and always enjoyed each very much. Good variety of water to keep things interesting.

Cheers,
Hans W