St. Joe River

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

JohnP

St. Joe River

Post by JohnP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:29 pm

I took a trip up to the St. Joe River in the Idaho panhandle yesterday. The weather was cool and showery, without much bug activity. I started off with a Little Dorothy in honor of Mark L. It did not get any action at the first place I used it, but at the second spot, the weather had warmed up a little and some small, creamish colored mayflies were hatching, and I got three solid grabs on it. Unfortunately, I was not able to hook any of those fish.
Here is the first spot I fished:

I used a Montague fly rod I got at a garage sale, paired with a Medalist 14951/2 reel that I inherited from my father, with a Cortland sylk line:

Here is the second spot, a place I first fished more than 30 years ago. The fish were concentrated in the slick below the rock outcroppings, and if I could make a cast of about 45 feet and put a quick mend in the line without dragging the fly, I usually got some action.

Most of the fish took an elk hair and cdc caddis; I caught half a dozen in the 10-inch class and two that were better than 14 inches. I had switched to my Fenwick hollow glass rod, which I have had since I was 14, and my casting was much better. I did not get any fish pictures, as I forgot my net and these were all wild west slope cutthroat trout, and I would not risk injuring one of them to try to get a picture. Here is an overall view of the country:

The area I fished is upstream of Avery, Idaho, which is all catch-and-release, single barbless hook waters. This area was burned during the great fires of 1910, evidence of which is quite clear even today. The first time I visited this area, I came over the mountains from Wallace, Idaho, to the north, which was the epicenter of the great fires.
At the last place I stopped, I noticed this sign on a tree:

Finally, here is the Little Dorothy variation that did her part, even though I failed to do mine:

All in all it was a good outing, and it was a real pleasure to fish moving water for wild trout again.
tie2fish

Re: St. Joe River

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Great report, JohnP. I got to fish the St. Joe one day back in the early 1970's, driving over from Cheney, WA and up the road from Lake Coure d'Alene. Managed a few small fish, but saw both a bear and at least two eagles. That sure is some beautiful country around there.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Outstanding trip report--it doesn't get any more "classic" than a Monty, Fenwick, and Pflueger. :)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Man that is some pretty water. Great report, John. I am happy you had some quality stream time. Mark will be pleased when he read your report. ;)

The photo of the memorial, with the hanging cup, is especially poignant... Wonderful contribution...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:57 pm

That river looks awesome. I would love to have a chance at fishing that water. Great report John!!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Wow. What a location. Thanks for sharing so much. The river, the report, the rod, it's all very cool. Nice pics. Sounds like a perfect day to me. Which Finwick? I have a few and need to fish them more often. I never seem to get the chance, but hearing reports like this makes me want to line one up. What a beautiful place. Thanks.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Very cool report. :D
Great looking water, classic American tackle in use and the shot of the memorial tree gave a wonderful personal touch to the whole spread.
Wonderful stuff John.

Keep the faith in Lil Dorothy, she came good for me and I just bet she will do the same for you.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. :) The Fenwick is an FF805 my Dad bought for me when I was in junior high. It is a very forgiving rod to cast and felt light as a feather after the bamboo rod.
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 am

The Fenwick is an FF805
As I said, I'm a big Feralite fan--be sure to try the FF79 if you get a chance, or better yet the 8'6" FF84 if you need to go "far-and-fine." :)
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:28 pm

CreationBear wrote:
The Fenwick is an FF805
As I said, I'm a big Feralite fan--be sure to try the FF79 if you get a chance, or better yet the 8'6" FF84 if you need to go "far-and-fine." :)
And if you get a 79.... your gunna just love the 75, then if stepping up to the 8.5' range you need to find an 85-3piece...... then if your thinking shooting heads and big ole Steelhead or Salmon you need a beast in the way of a 98-114-116 sized rod.

You all might be able to tell I am a bit of a fan of FF Fenwicks as well. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.