Tackle for Montana/Wyoming/Idaho

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Greenwell

Re: Tackle for Montana/Wyoming/Idaho

Post by Greenwell » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Regarding rod and line weights yet again, I believe that a distinction needs to be made for rod materials. Simply stated, I'm much less afraid to put the iron to a fish using a graphite rod than I would be when using one of my Leonards, Aroners, or Brandins that carry the same line weight. From a practical stance, a modern graphite rod will take a hell of a bending; way past that which most bamboo users would push a favorite stick. A broken plastic rod is an inconvenience; a broken bamboo rod is a tragedy! As much as I love cane, the amount of pressure I can put on fish (without worrying I'm going to destroy a treasured and valuable rod) is one of the reasons I've switched to graphite for "everyday" fishing. I still use cane, just not in situations where I may risk either the rod's abuse or the trout's well being. As we all know, overplaying fish often leads to their death, especially in warmer water temps.

On the topic of tippet sizes, I may have come across as preferring to use the light stuff. Actually, I try to use the heaviest tippet I can get away with, again because I can pressure fish harder and land them faster. Larger diameters also have better knot strength and more resistance to abrasion. The reason I often use 6X and 7X has a lot more to do with fly size and behavior (drag) than a misplaced sense of being "sporting"! I should also clarify that I use these smaller diameters primarily when fishing dry-flies; I very seldom go below 5X when fishing spiders, and in heavy water often use 3X or even 2X, especially with larger flies.

(As a bit of a side note, I've often wondered why fly fishers, myself included, are so worried about leader/tippet breaking strength. Spin-fishers routinely use 6, 4, and even 2 lb test, and land some very big fish on such tackle. My little sister once boated a 42 lb bull dolphin using 8 lb test!)

Leader/tippet breakage can result from a number of factors. Abrasion, faulty knots, sun damage, and old tippet material all cause broken tippets and dreams. These breaks are common enough and are to a high degree preventable by the angler. However, another reason for breakage is one that may not be obvious at first; improper use of modern trout reels! Sometime in the last 25 or so years many trout anglers were lead to believe that one needs a bonefish capable reel to land a 16" trout. I can't tell you the number of times I've watched a prospective buyer crank down the drag on a reel intended for a 4 weight to the point where the spool was locked, as if he would need that kind of stopping power for trout! In my brief guiding career I often watched in horror as clients tightened the drag the instant a fish took a little line only to have the tippet pop or the hook fail or pull out. A light, smooth drag is all anyone needs for most trout fishing. Many if not most reels today have an exposed rim so one can add a bit more resistance when needed and from my experience a "bit" is all one needs! I've been fishing conventional click & pawl trout reels since I was a kid and I've never felt I was under gunned.
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Greenwell wrote: I've often wondered why fly fishers, myself included, are so worried about leader/tippet breaking strength. Spin-fishers routinely use 6, 4, and even 2 lb test, and land some very big fish on such tackle.
Perhaps it's because with a spinning reel, line can still be pulled out even if the angler is cranking away as hard as they can. With a fly rod, if you crank (or hold onto the handle, or just over-palm the rim) no line is going to go out and all the strain is now on the leader.
Bob
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:55 am

What a great thread. Thanks for sharing so much. I hope this come into play soone than later for me. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Great thread, John.
Thanks for starting it.

Lance
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm

This is a fantastic little topic. I agree with everything John is saying, it's common sense to such a simple degree it's funny really. Yet you see so many people struggle on stream wondering why they lose fish for these same reasons.

On the rod topic, I'm very partial to graphite for the same reasons however.. I would be ecstatic to find a nice glass rod for fishing spiders and flymphs.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:34 am

Fishing these waters I take both 4 and 6 weight 9 foot rods. :D IMO selecting rods is kind of like a golfer deciding which club to use. ;)