Casting over a big boulder

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Casting over a big boulder

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:45 pm

"All of the above!" Lance. :)
As well as watching and learning from others as they fish. I am lucky enough to not so much host, as be tolerated and entertained by, some exceptional casters and fishers from the States annually. I have learned more in the past few years from watching these guys than they have forgotten over a lifetime of perfecting their craft.
For me personally though, it is observation of local waters, getting to know each pool and run on a familiar beat, learning where the rocks (both protruding and hidden from view) lie, how the trout behave around these obstructions to the water flow, at what times they are feeding and what they are feeding on.
Often I will walk upstream on the high bank, not the ideal position for a fisherman to take, but it does allow a better sight picture into the water. As I spook each trout from its lie, I will make a mental note of where it is (often using a bank feature, flood debris or a tree as a reference) so I can return to the same spot from the other lower side of the river...... hopefully unseen by the trout that has resumed feeding.
You can use this high bank" approach with a bit more stealth (not "sky-lined" and silhouetted, thus spooking the trout) to study the feeing trout before planning your attack from the other side, taking note of the way he is feeding and forming a mental note of just how your fly will need to be presented to fall into his feeding lane. You can also generally make out just where in the water column he is feeding, thus helping with fly selection.

This really applies to fishing in Southern NZ and sight fishing to a particular trout, which makes up maybe 80% of fly fishing here. It may not be as relevant in other waters where fish can be induced into rising or striking a drifting/swinging fly........ but sometimes it is still fun to do! ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Jeff,
Thanks. If you feel lucky to be guiding those visiting experts, they must feel the same about your expertise, enthusiasm, and local knowledge.

Lance
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Experience? These guys hold more of that in their little fingers than I could hope to gain in a lifetime.
Enthusiasm? I have that in bucketfuls....... may get on their nerves more than be appreciated. :lol:
Local knowledge? Yes well, we do swap a few "where the fish are", "what's the water like" and "what are they eating/ you catching on" conversations, but these guys have been coming here and doing that long enough now that they do not need guided and indeed can teach a few locals a thing or two about local fishing.

Lance, I should point out none of the ideas above are set in concrete rules to fish by, but take out of them what you will and apply them to your local conditions.
Most of what I wrote applies to me, as I am able to visit great trout fisheries very close to home and walk regular beats, becoming familiar with the water and its surroundings. The same cannot always be applied to areas untried or new to the fisher. You can use the high bank stalk in and observe tactic on "new" water, especially to inspect obvious boulders, then back out to execute your plan, especially if an active surface feeding fish has been seen from afar.
With time on the water, any water, you will learn through experience what and where to look- what water to walk past and likely water to "prospect" for fish. Nothing beats being out there doing it. :D
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:40 am

Most of mine is just observation and research, there are some good videos as well. As a fisheries bio with a concentration in riparian management I spent quite a bit of time researching and observing ( in lab and snorkeling water) what fish like and where. I have never had much problem finding fish...just catching them :D It is actually the seasons of surveying streams and snorkeling those streams that helped the most. When you are in the fish's environment it is surprising how unafraid they are. Often you can get fairly close with little to no disruption. They really are more concerned with things that come from above I guess.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Oh, to fish The Bolder Fields!
I often fish such great waters during a slight rising water, (Think...tail waters, and they cut the water on up-stream!.... i.e. Rim Shoals, White River, Arkansas!!! 8-) http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... te/wr8.jpg)
My favorite approach is to start out midstream... as we realize the water is rising, we know its time to move towards access point! Instead of wading on out to end the day, I start a "two-step" to fish my way out!
With line, and a slightly over-sized (a.k.a #10 or #8!)on the dangle, I take two steps towards the exit, then work the fly (flies, where appropriate!) by slow stripping upstream, say 5-10 feet, then drop the "stripped line" to let the fly (flies) free tumble on down stream. In doing so.. the fly is "sucked under" a bit, and the rises again as the slack is taken up! The fun is that you can simple reach with your rod to "guide" the line, letting the free-falling fly to drop to the front of a downstream bolder, then rise; into a seam, of to rush along side each and every rock. Work the fly to all sides of each and every rock... picking the pockets!!!!
Remember too, as water passes along side or even over a bolder, there is a "back eddy" to the down stream side! What is important is to remember.... Trouts tend to face "upstream".... even in the back eddy, when the river is going "the other way" to either side!
Anyone ready to go try this game!!? Yell, loud! I could meet you on the waters.... for some schooling.... fun times!
P.S.
In using my madness, be aware that I said the water is rising on those tailwaters!!! :lol: :lol:
P.s.s.
Always hold back a loop of free line in your non-rod hand! As the fish hits and they do hit hard in this method!Explosively so!.... Simply strip set the fly, then drop a few feet of line to the fish so he turns down stream... setting themselves! If you miss... and you will... the fly is already back in play!
Happy Holidays!
FliTrap is back!
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Kacbo that is a great reference. and this is why I love this forum. Sheepishly I can't wait until June and Yellowstone. This is will such a fantastic learn experience. don't be surprised if have you folks who are coming find yourself with an extra shadow.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 pm

FliTrap,
you brought an old thread back from the dead.
Nice description of the thrill of boulder fishing moments before being swept up in the rising tail water.

Lance
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Yes... Fishing Tailwater can end in a bath! I'll have to look for that old story line! :o
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Great advice FliTrap, I really liked the "picking the pockets" reference, very apt description.
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Fish such shoals takes a bit of work.. I'm typically that one guy standing in a spot of the fast waters... others standing there scratching in wondering how or why I gots there... until I hook up some trouts! lol
I do like the Article in reference, there!
FliTrap