Fishing Wet Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

MtBrittany

Fishing Wet Flies

Post by MtBrittany » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:55 pm

I have lots of questions for you guys about the subject topic. However, before I start asking questions that have been answered before under previous threads, I'll do a little research before I bore you all.

I have been fly fishing exclusively for 40 years now and, up until about nearly 4 months ago, have rarely fished wet flies. A friend from Colorado came up to fish Montana waters the first week of April. We fished mostly dry flies (midges and olives) for 3 days but our last day out, it was just a little too windy for me. So, I sat on the bank munching on snacks and playing with Dexter (my Brittany). My friend was on the water and picking up a few fish. He came in and we compared notes. I mentioned that he was doing OK. He reluctantly indicated the fish he was getting were hooked when his dry fly was submerged and mostly on the swing nearly directly downstream. I said maybe a soft hackle might be the ticket. Handed him a size #16 partridge and green and said give this a try (thinking I would let him experiment for me).

He then commenced to pick up fish regularly with that soft hackle. Well, if he can do it, I'll give it a try. The remainder of the day we both landed a number of fish. Like he indicated that evening over a beer or two or three, it was almost like at will you could hook up with a fish. We parted for home the next morning with me thinking I had found the cat's meow. Since then, I have been fishing wet flies frequently with the results being, sometimes they work but most times they don't.

I was going to just leave it at that until I came across this forum. Now I am thinking closer observation might solve some of the riddle as to why and when wet flies work or don't. I'll be back with questions.

Rod
hankaye

Re: Fishing Wet Flies

Post by hankaye » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:21 pm

MtBrittany, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a stump and make yourself comfortable.
Tons of info to be found here. Have a look see at the bottom forum (Links).
It has a 'baby' aka Reference Material. If you have questions ...Ask . You'll
get more answers than you can count (most times). Again, welcome get ...
comfortable and enjoy :D

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Welcome to the addiction. Looking forward to your contributions and see you at the next Roscoe West in Yellowstone in 2014. (Well actually not me. I'll be fishing in France that year. But maybe 2015)
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 am

Welcome aboard Rod! I found your post very interesting, and look forward to reading your questions, and the answers your receive from the other members. As Hank said, look around and make yourself comfortable. This is a friendly group, who freely share their knowledge, and fly tying/fishing talents. Don't be shy about offering your own experience, fly patterns, or questions about wingless wet flies, soft hackles, etc.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Rod (great name for a fisherman ;) ) welcome along.
Sounds like you and your buddy discovered something it takes Kiwis a lifetime to figure out....... wet flies work! Some 80-90% of a trouts diet consists of sub-surface dining and yet (over here) most fishermen and guides rely on dry fly for 80% of their fishing and the other 20% is dedicated to true nymph imitations- often heavily weighted to bottom bounce. Near everyone forgets the mid-water presentation and other stages of aquatic life. This must lead to many frustrating days for both local fishers and guide/clients as they present flies the trout are not feeding on or interested in, when not obviously feeding on the surface, or can be seen to be taking nymphs off the bottom.
Wets and or soft hackles are often the "answer" on such occasions..... indeed it took me a while to figure that one out :oops: .
But..... wets can be so much more and I will now confidently fish soft hackle wets through a hatch, or sunk down deeper to imitate nymphs. :)

Often, I feel, we overcomplicate things. I cart in my vest boxes of flies and other assorted gear that will be handy in a bind....... but often only get wet during the season if I wade to deep. Sometimes (if I could convince myself to do it) a couple of soft hackle patterns to suit the location and natural insects in a couple of sizes, a rod reel and line....... and you would be good to go.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
paparex

Post by paparex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:15 pm

I have a corralary to the question about Fishing Wet Flies. My question is, what are your experiences fishing wets out of a drift boat on the move? What technique do you use? Dead drift? As an extension of an indicator or dry fly? Anchoring the boat or getting out and wading, I understand.

I am going to fish, from a drift boat, next week. We usually throw dies including terrestrials for the day. Occasionally we will add a nymph dropper. This river is often too deep near the shore to safely wade this time of year. Any advise or suggestions?

Rex