Swinging flies during a hatch

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

newriverspey

Re: Swinging flies during a hatch

Post by newriverspey » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 am

Those are great questions but beyond the scope of this forum. I would suggest the skagit master forum and the spey forum as well. They are great forums and they will answer all your questions. Thanks
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:42 pm

but beyond the scope of this forum.
I don't know, between me, Hank, and late, great Willowhead (Mark Romero), it's the rare thread that would constrain us. :lol: At any rate, I'll look forward to your posts.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:59 am

CreationBear wrote:
but beyond the scope of this forum.
I don't know, between me, Hank, and late, great Willowhead (Mark Romero), it's the rare thread that would constrain us. :lol: At any rate, I'll look forward to your posts.
Jon, you're more right than you know. There are a number of members fooling around with long/spey/two handers for trout. I saw one yesterday swung on a stream not more than 20'wide and cast upstream with precision. A testament to every attempt to present these versatile flies in lots of places.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Well, the rod I am using is a conversion rod. So, I took a 10' 3 weight and added a lower handle making into a very light two handed trout rod. The line I use was made by Steve Godshall and is a Skandit line, so it is a hybrid line that acts as both a Skagit line and a Scandi line. The grain window of this line is roughly the equivalent of a 6 weight line. I do more of a sustained anchor cast and swing soft hackled flies down to a #20 purple and partridge and as large as a # 4 streamer. Even if you catch a smaller trout 6", you can still "feel" the fish on. This rod is not a traditional two handed rod nor a switch rod either. It is truly a blast to fish with and it is fun to just cast.
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Here is one I caught the other day
Attachments
photo-2.JPG
photo-2.JPG (37.38 KiB) Viewed 8554 times
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:23 am

Nice fish...and no doubt quite a bend in that rod. :) Thanks for details.

At any rate, I think a lot of us are like Moliere's famous gentilhomme who's astounded to learn that he's been speaking prose all his life, in that "single hand spey" casts come naturally in a lot of situations, especially if you're willing to consider a quick haul the functional equivalent of an anchor.
I'm thinking the line between double-hand and single-hand styles might not be as great as it first appears.

BTW William, I always thought that almost one-of-a-kind McFarland blank would have made a good "micro-spey" if you'd added a fighting butt, but then again I wouldn't want to be liable for the hardware you might collect in your off-ear. :)
newriverspey

Post by newriverspey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Just curious if anyone else is using a two handed rod for swinging soft hackled flies?
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Well, yes, sort of. I use a two-handed spey rod to fish for steelhead. I am generally drifting flies which could be classified as soft hackle flies, but they are designed for steelhead. I've never tried my two-hander on regular trout.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Jon, I have seriously considered putting a couple rods in the queue for the fall, but it's not likely. A two handed steelie rod seems like a natural. A two handed #3 wt...now that's interesting.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:16 pm

putting a couple rods in the queue for the fall,
One of them has to be an L. Kenney 8'1' for a three, though...a sovereign cure for any trout application on our side of the Mississippi (at least in top six inches of the water column. :lol: )