Snow and ww's

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

narcodog

Snow and ww's

Post by narcodog » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 am

Yesterday was a glorious day trout snow and size 22 olive wingless wet. We don't get to fish very often in snow but yesterday was an exception. The wind was brisk, the temperature was in the thirty's and the fish were rising to the snow flakes. I took my new Tenkara USA Rhodo rod out for it's first outing and it performed very well despite the weather. I used a two rig set up a 14 s/h and 22 olive, olive silk waxed and a jackdaw feather. I landed four and missed about that many. A day to remember for awhile.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Snow and ww's

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Bob - were both flies the same olive pattern, just in different sizes? I plan to tye some for my next tenkara adventure.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Ray, no the 22 was just thread and Jackdaw the second was an olive quill and partridge, 14.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:47 pm

"the fish were rising to the snow flakes"

Bob - I keep coming back to read your description. I love that phrase. It paints a memorable picture, so to speak.

I will tye up renditions of the flies and post them for feedback. I have a nice Jackdaw scalp, which is begging to be used. I'll be back...

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Ray, I used a Mustad 94842 up eye hook for a better hook up.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:13 pm

Bob - I've tyed up a half dozen petite olive spiders, which I look forward to fishing soon.

I call this one, a "Pickled Olive Spider"

Pickled (Picric) Olive Spider
Hook - Mustad R50 TUE (Size 16, or smaller if you've got 'em)
Thread - Pearsall's Gossamer Silk (Olive/No. 16)
Hackle - Picric Dyed Starling Wing Coverlet Feather (thanks Bob)
Thorax - Single strand of Peacock Herl (Natural) - (tyed in at the eye and wrapped to mid shank)
Abdomen - Pearsall's Gossamer Silk (Olive/No. 16)
Head - waxed thread and form a three turn whip finish.

SBS Tying Instructions:
1) Mount hook in vice
2) Wax the last few inches of the tying silk, with a good tying wax. This will ensure silk grips the hook shank.
3) Attach the tying thread with three secure wraps. Leave a few inches of tag.
4) Select a coverlet feather from the starling wing, and prepare the feather by stripping off the basal fluff. Grip the feather by the center stem and mount it on the hook with a single firm wrap. The tip of the feather should be facing out over the eye of the hook. DO NOT TRIM OFF THE STEM...YET...
5) Pick a strand of peacock herl, and grip it roughly one-third of the way from the tip end. Point the butt-end out over the eye of the hook and secure it with a single firm wrap of thead. Now reposition the fingers on your left hand and grab hold of the tag end of the silk, along with the feather center stem and the tip end of the peacock herl. Pull them gently, so they run parallel with the top of the hook shank.
6) Wrap the tying silk to the middle of the hook. Now trim off the tag ends of the silk, feather stem and tip of the peacock herl. The were left on, to help build up the front section of the fly.
7) Carefully wrap the peacock herl, in close touching turns, back to the midpoint of the shank. Secure with a single turn of silk, and trim or simply break off the excess.
8) Wrap the tying silk back to the bend of the hook and then forward to the midpoint again. The wraps are in very close touching turns.
9) Grasp the tip of the starling feather with hackle pliers. Stroke the fibers with your thumb and index finger, to separate the fibers and partially fold the fibers to one side. Wrap the feather back to the awaiting thread. Use open spiral wraps, and try to get three full turns, before running out of feather.
10) Secure the tip of the starling feather, and wrap the silk forward thru the abdomen in three open wraps. Wiggle the tying thread back and forth, to keep from trapping the feather fibers. If you look closely at the second photo, you can see one of the silk wraps, crossing the hackle stems.
11) Wax the tying silk, and form a three-turn whip finish head. Clip off the thread.

I make it sound complicated, but this is a very simple spider pattern. I like tying spiders in this way, to make them more durable. The peacock herl and starling feathers are quite delicate. By wrapping them from the eye to the bend, I am able to reinforce them with the tying silk, in an efficient manner. Give it a try. I think you will like the results.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:19 pm

That looks both beautiful and deadly, Ray. Thank you for the SBS tying instructions.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Add a red (hotspot) head and you'd have a "Pimento Stuffed Pickled Olive Spider".

(but that would be crazy talk :D )

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Ray, Howdy;

Looks like a 'Dilly' to me ... :roll:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Switch out the hackle with a Jackdaw scalp feather, and the peacock herl with mole, and you've got a Black Olive Spider. Use purple dubbing, and a Mapgie scalp feather and you've got a Kalamata Olive Spider. :D ;)

Tasty patterns, Bob.